Sunday, April 26, 2009

Unanswered Questions

It happened again. It happens more often than it should. He lay dying in his hospital bed. Just a few days ago he was young, healthy and lively. I’ve seen him around the village. I don’t know the details; I can only imagine. His family helpless, shocked and grieving gathered around his bed awaiting his fate. There is nothing that can be done. They can try to control his pain as his organs shut down, but even that is difficult.


I wonder if he had regrets. Was this simply a cry for help gone wrong? If he could take it back, would he? Is he selfish as many might think, or is he in so much pain that even more compassion is needed? How does one make sense of this sort of act? I knew people who took their lives and I have so many questions; it’s confusing. The people I knew used methods that were quick; the last was a friend who pulled a trigger. One second he was here and the next he was gone.


In developing countries, suicide is often an over-dose of prescription medication. In under-developed nations, Gramaxone, an agriculture poison is the leading method of suicide.


According to the World Health Organization, each year nearly 900,000 deaths worldwide are due to suicide, which accounts for more deaths than homicides and wars combined. This number is believed to be largely underestimated because suicide as a cause of death is underreported. Worldwide, pesticide poisoning accounts for over 250,000 deaths each year. There’s nothing more that I can think of to say.


2 comments:

Barbara said...

Such a sad post...And I found it strange that not a single comment was posted.

I was going to write about how I felt about suicide until I discovered that, other than emotionally, I knew nothing about it. So, I did what I thought best: research it before speaking.

Although the data is from 2001 I found the below chart to be the best representation and capsulation of what is still happening today.

The percentages are based on the 100,000th scale.

I found this site to be more comprehensive than other sites. Also, it covered some stats from the 1950s to 2005.
(www.suicide.com -- then click on statistics)
However, there are many (too many) sites to choose from.

The numbers alone tell a story that may surprise many.

The numbers attached to the breakdown-groups are what I found to be most surprising.

It is a place I pray to never enter--therefore I do not judge.

-------
U.S. Suicide Statistics (2001):

Breakdown by Gender / Ethnicity / Young, Old Age Groups

Rate Per
Number Per Day 100,000 % of Deaths
Total ...........30,622..........83.9........10.8.......1.3
Males ...........24,672..........67.6.......17.6.......2.1
Females..........5,950..........16.3..........4.1.......0.5 Whites..........27,710..........75.9.........11.9.......1.3
Nonwhites......2,912...........8.0............5.6.......0.9
Blacks..............,957...........5.4............5.3......0.7
Elderly (65+) .5,393..........14.8.........15.3.......0.3
Youth (1524)..3,971..........10.9..........9.9......12.3


I hope the chart transfers clearly (sometimes they get really wiggley).

May God Bless that young man.

Karen's Planet said...

It is sad. I didn't really expect comments to this post. What does one say about something like this? Thanks for the research.