Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Fountain of Youth

I have found the Fountain of Youth, an alternate answer to the Biggest Loser, the gym and liposuction. It’s Peace Corps. My clothes hang on me and that makes me smile. Although I have no scale, I’m sure I must have lost at least twenty-five or thirty pounds so far! I fantasize about looking like that twenty something person again . . . the person who was critical of how she looked and found bulges of fat among her ninety-eight pounds. This time I will not be critical; instead I will be grateful. Maybe I will get some skinny jeans and a midriff top for my new body.


But on closer inspection I find some of the clothes I wear here are things I wouldn’t want to wear to my own cremation. I brought nice things; some I’ve had for years. My Jones of NY pants are years old but good enough to pass for the required “business casual” dictated by Peace Corps. The pants were in good condition when I left. Now, the cuffs are frayed and I fear they only have a short-time left on this journey. The same is true for some of my brand new tops, many of which have small, but growing holes in the material.


On further inspection I notice that the neck lines of my tops are growing – as I look in the mirror I see the necklines sagging. My crewneck tops now resemble V-Necks. The tops are much wider than I remember. Oh no, there is no Fountain and my perfect body resides in my private Fantasy Land!


I need to return to Saint Lucia reality. To my horror, I face the truth. Oh great, gravity is not only attacking my body, but now my clothes. Where is the Fountain of Youth when I need it? Oh yes, it’s back home in the Botox bottles and in the surgical rooms.


I realize it is only an illusion that I will be returning to my former twenty-something body. I’ve identified the villain in this tale. It’s the clothes washing process. Oh no, I just thought of something – maybe my clothes are adjusting to the “me” I am destined to become. Sagging, stretched, faded and torn. I will fight this! I need to go shopping . . . quick! I’ll put the skinny jean idea aside and look for a good sturdy pair of Levi Relaxed Jeans.




7 comments:

Barbara said...

OMG, you've got cabin fever Island Girl. You can't stop thinking about silly stuff like your clothes are growing and your body's shrinking. Quick! Like a bunny! Get off the island, get to a mall, start purchasing whatever clothes you like -- but for God's sake let someone else pick out your shoes for you! Then get back to the island take a breather and tell your class what you've just learned -- or not.

I'm not living in your forest so I can see the palm trees. So believe me: You look wonderful! And you don't want to weigh 9-something pounds at this age -- trust me! Save the face!

BTW, I lost my walking partner (her father is ill and she's caring for him) so I joined Curves again. Maybe this time I will actually go. I start on Thursday.

Barbara said...

Also, this was a funny post. Had me cracking up! Oh no.,..I probably have another laugh line because of you!

Karen's Planet said...

I have been thinking how strange it is that I notice these little things here - I think I even have a blog in the que (sp?) about that!

Adventure Melaney! said...

Actually I did notice back at the Choc beach BBQ that you have lost a lot of weight.

Do the Lucians you work with ask if you're stressed a lot, or if you're not enjoying your stay? To them weight gain = happiness.

Karen's Planet said...

I think I lost about eight pounds since I got here - but I found it in the last couple of weeks! And you are right: weight gain=happiness. I think I've been REAL happy the last few days!

Brendan said...

I love the skinny jeans idea. Maybe you can start dating Zac Efron while your at it. I just saw his movie 17 Again he's so hot.

brendan

Karen's Planet said...

Brendan - should I wear the midriff top too?