Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Country


“If anyone starves in Saint Lucia then they are really stupid.” I hear that quite often. When I walk through the forest there are almonds, oranges, and golden apples rotting on the ground. Saint Lucians don’t like to waste food, but sometimes it can’t be helped.


Bea, Neil and Neema picked us up early on Sunday morning. Jay and Kevin jumped in the back of the truck and Bea motioned me to the cab. She and Neil were my host family and she remembered it is against Peace Corps policy for me to ride in the back of a pick up truck.


Their countryside farm is just a short ride from the village. We turned off the main highway and drove through acres of banana trees until we finally reached their farm. Cam, their worker, was already there. There was a fire started by the small banana processing shed. There were pots and dishes and utensils. We were there to have lunch, but first we needed to collect the food.


Bea directed the worker to dig up dasheen, sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables. Then she asked him to get some coconuts. Jay commented on the obvious class structure. Bea and Neil, by Saint Lucian standards, are middle class. They employ several workers, both for her catering business and their farm. The farm supplies food for her catering business as well as for her family. They also grow enough bananas to make a small profit each year. Lately the cost of living has increased. Chicken, cheese and other items she must buy are more expensive. It is becoming increasingly difficult for her to make a profit.


We piled into the pick up truck. Cam was looking for the perfect tree to climb. He explained that he needed to find a short tree because fewer coconuts would burst open when they hit the ground. I watched as Cam wiped off the bottom of his feet and then began the ascent to the top of the tree. Second’s later coconut after coconut was falling from the tree.


We hiked a short distance to retrieve some grapefruits and then went in search for oranges. Along the way we found a cocoa tree and picked a few pods, one of which we broke open and ate. Neema saw a few bananas that were ripened on the tree and pulled them off handing me a couple. I’ve never tasted better bananas than those here in Saint Lucia.


When we got back we ate bowls of freshly picked and cooked vegetables with saltfish and fresh coconut juice. This kind of experience is pretty amazing to a city girl.


A few days later Neil and Bea came by to say goodbye to Jay and Kevin. Of course, they agreed to hold our Flat friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

True, eating fresh from the farm does taste great. I help in the banana fields every 2 weeks for shipment and it has really helped get me 'in' with the farming community. Everybody here laughs when they learn I carry banana trays on my head.

Barbara said...

Very nice pic of Bea and Neil. I hope Bea's business picks up soon. I want a forest in my neighborhood that has nuts, bananas, apples and the like just there, fresh and ready for picking. You know, those apples make good cobbler. Yum! And let's not forget about their fresh seafood. St. Lucia--Paradise for healthy eating--you know exactly where your food comes from and how it's handled and grown. Ah, I remember the days as a youth in rural Michigan...
Just one more of your posts Karen that's taking me down memory lane.