Sunday, April 5, 2009

Traveling Light...NOT

My sons are light travelers. They have traveled extensively and have been to too many countries to count. Passport stamps are worn like badges and it’s always nice to remind them of the pasted “stamp” I received from Japan as neither of them have this type of stamp.


As I look down I notice the small travel backpacks they brought. They pack just enough to be efficient. But there is more. Two more to be exact. Two more bags slung over their shoulders. There had “essentials” to bring: several pounds of See’s Candy, semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, bags of almonds, special toothpaste, a laptop, a wireless router and a projector were just a few things packed in the two extra bags they brought along with their efficient lightweight packs.


They gather their things and we pile into the pre-negotiated taxi to take us to my village. There is simply too much stuff to even think about boarding a bus. Twenty minutes later we are home, the bags are dropped and we are out the door. Although they have just arrived from a grueling fourteen hour flight, they still have a bit of energy to tour my village. They meet Egbert, the Librarian and Darnley, my counterpart, they see the “business center”, and are greeted by every passer-by as we walk through the village. People in the village are curious and so friendly that it warms my heart as we walk through the streets.


We walk to Viege Point and I show them the rock that resembles the map of Saint Lucia. Everyone knows about this phenomenon. They convince me to navigate the rocks climbing down to get a closer view of the sea. It really is a magnificent site. It’s nice to have them here to share the beauty of the island. Our family has a love affair with nature. It was a bond John and I shared and passed on to our children. It always feels special when we share nature together.


When we returned to my house I looked out my back balcony to see if Binta’s was open. If the window in the brown wood building is propped open it is the signal that she's open for business. It is. She makes bakes, salt fish and local juice and I know they will will like this food and will return for this snack every chance they get.


By the way, Kevin told me they would leave the extra bags behind. Sadly for him, this was not the case. There was a coal pot for BBQing, two dresses for Ava, some rum, hot sauce, pencil boxes, purses and various gifts that filled the bags and accompanied my sons on their return flight from California.

No comments: