Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Catch of the Day

It’s 7 a.m. I make a carafe of coffee and turn CNN on. I check my email account and then pour my first cup. As I prepare to start my day, I hear some excited voices coming from the backyard. I go out on my back balcony and see Coco and his sister Yvette, the fisherman’s children who live across the street. Spike, Elizabeth’s dog, is barking with excitement. The children are visibly expressive and their happiness is contagious; at least for a moment.


“What are you doing?” I see a large white bucket and some boxes made of wood. Coco responds by holding up the white bucket. Inside is a very large crab. Yvette says, “We caught it!” Knowing its destiny is the dinner table and knowing it is a feeble, naïve, unrealistic city-viewed attempt, I said, “Ah, you aren’t going to hurt it are you?” They looked at me quizzically as though they couldn’t understand the question I just asked. Then Coco smiled as if I just made a funny joke. I didn’t press for an answer.


“How did you catch it?” Yvette points to the wooden boxes. “What do you use to lure it in?” Coco says, “banana, they like bananas”. The crab will bring the family $10.00 from some hungry person seeking the crustacean delicacy. I watch as they prepare to catch their next victim.


They re-set the traps, leaving with their catch and undoubtedly proud to show their father, a village fisherman. I can only imagine the pride these children must have felt when they presented that big crab to their father. The children will set traps throughout the week filling the three cages in their backyard. Their father will take the filled cages to Martinique.

So, here are two opposite reactions largely due to culture. I am horrified to think this large old creature will end up on a dinner plate satisfying a moment of pleasure for a hungry diner, while the children’s father will feel a sense of pride that his children are learning a trade that will sustain them throughout their life.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in a village with many fisherfolk as well; they drive in pick up trucks blowing the conch when the fresh catch is available. I see a wide variety of sealife, although none of it was moving as that crab did. Mountain hunting is also a common means of sustenance--manicou, iguana, and any other 'bushmeat'. Of course, goat & sheep are readily strung up and dressed in the off-season.

As a vegetarian, I am coping with some of these changes and your rhetorical, "Are you going to hurt it brought a smile to my face."

But you're absolutely right. It is a two-sided coin, each with its own truth and reason.

Karen's Planet said...

I haven't heard of anyone eating bush meat here, but goats are eaten, as are the pigs which I described in a previous post. But we also have an equal amount of vegetarians.

Sue said...

I am sorry Karen but my vote is to sell or eat the catch of the day. I don't think that I would want to test out the bush meat. We all have our limits.

Sue

Richard said...

This story made me hungry =).

Karen's Planet said...

ok - that's 2 for eating and 2 for sticking to vegetables. Richard? Is that in Koopmans?

jay said...

man, i would of socked that crab in the forehead just to show him i mean business!!!!
i love bush meat; remember, when i tried to order mountain chicken in dominica?

jay

Karen's Planet said...

You were sooooo lucky they didn't have mountain chicken! Do you remember catching all those crabs in Big Sur? None of us, including your dad, had the heart to cook them and so we took them back to the river and let them go.

Barbara said...

Well, that old crab did many things: lived a long life in the lap of luxury in the Caribbean; probably made baby crabs; sold it's body for a family who needed the money; fed someone; had a story published on a blog about it; had it's picture taken for all to see; and has people talking about it from several corners of the world. That old crab did mighty fine indeed!

Karen's Planet said...

oh, Barbara, now that makes me feel better. That's a better story than mine.

Barbara said...

I just stopped by to check on the crab.

Glad my story helped Island Girl.