Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Snack it Up



I spent the day with Bea, the matriarch of my host family. She rises around 4:00 a.m. to make food she will sell during the day. She does the cooking downstairs in her kitchen. She has chicken to prepare along with side dishes of rice, beans, macaroni, and salad. Around seven she heads out the door and loads the family truck to start her day. She has two points where she sells her food; both are in Vieux Fort. She drops food at the school where a woman waits to be told what she will sell. Then she quickly drives over to her truck, Snack It Up and begins organizing for the locals who will soon be there. Snack it Up is a catering truck permanently nestled under trees and surrounded by horses, pigs, and cows that are grazing on the land. I had the occasion to speak with many customers, all of whom say Bea’s is their favorite place to eat. People come here for not just the food but for the good conversation that comes with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I so look forward to your blog entries. It sounds like Bea is an amazing woman and that you'll really enjoy your host family. Keep bloggin'...

Kristi

Anonymous said...

wow, what a limited diet, i feel so sorry for you. just to let you know that i only ate rice, beans, and tortillas for my first year.
thank God i got shot at, and peace corps reassigned me, thereby allowing me the luxury of being able to eat fruit, vegetables, and milk.
peace corps st. lucia sounds like an unbearable experience. especially, your host family accomodations. oh the horror, you probably only have basic cable. :)

Unknown said...

Karen,
I sent you a blog on this, but I'm not sure you got it. This is so you to get up at 4:00AM to cook, and serve others. I miss you already, and wish you were here to kayak. Next weekend the movie "The Women" comes out. Things are going great. Love your blogs, especially your bus ride. I am very proud of you, even tho you had to pay someone to show you where to go. At least you weren't making all right turns and ending up in a parking lot!
Keep the inspiration coming.
Linda