Wednesday, September 10, 2008

School Daze

I walked into the classroom. There is a blackboard in the front of the room with the words “Office Administration” written in chalk. This is a Form 4 classroom (our equivalent to grade 10). There are windows on either side of the room with no glass and a nice island breeze. There are a few students at their desks. The desks are wooden with little slots to put their books and supplies. I’m a little early. I introduce myself and tell them I’m from Peace Corps and that I will be working with the school. As we talked, I explained that I taught business courses at the university level in the United States. I ask them how they like their class and they respond with a shrug. More students enter the classroom and now every seat is taken. Thirty-five students are waiting for the instructor. Each student is perfectly dressed in their beige freshly ironed uniforms. The girls have their hair pulled back with bows and barrettes. Boys and girls are wearing polished dress shoes. They have book bags with notebooks, pens, and books. I walk outside the classroom to see if he is coming and when I enter every student stands at attention. I asked a student why they are standing and she responds that whenever a teacher or principal enters they stand as a sign of respect. I assumed they were standing in anticipation of Mr. Henry, their teacher. They stand, and stand, and stand some more. Finally, I ask a student, “Are you standing for me?” She affirmed my fear – they were indeed standing for me and I have kept them at attention. I made a hand motion and they all sat. Wow!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Karen,

Sounds like the mosquitos should go to that school and show some respect.

Looking forward to your next entry.

Sue

Stand4JesusOrFall4anything said...

Hi Karen,

I've been checking out your blogs and decided to respond to this one in particular because it's a classroom setting and well that is what you were doing here at Webster University. Wow what a difference in wanting to learn there and not wanting to learn here in America. Our kids take everything for granted and only some of our children want to really get in there and learn. Shoot that kind of respect of standing for an instructor is something that probably was done when my mom was in school 80 plus years ago... I'm taking a teaching certificate course at Cal State Dominguez Hills and last week one of my classmates says she taught 5th graders last year and was called a "b_ _ _ _h" and I was like no way!! (even though I've heard stories like that before, it's still unbelievable to me). What a difference - kids wanting to learn and others with no respect for the teacher...
Take care - Deborah you are missed!

Stand4JesusOrFall4anything said...

Hi Karen, students standing at attention WOW, something children here in America don't do. Anyway, we here at Webster University say HELLO and WE MISS YOU!!