Monday, September 8, 2008

Liming in the Village

Today was an exciting day for the family. Their two daughters and various other family members arrived back home. They have been on an extended holiday in New York. They brought back shoes, candy, aluminum foil, clothes, school supplies and suitcases of various and sundry items. There was something for everyone and as I watched, it resembled an American Christmas. Items here are quite expensive, so three tubes of toothpaste acquired at Costco is quite exciting.

After everything calmed down, one of Bea’s daughters asked me if I would like to go for a walk. A walk here isn’t like one that I’m used to . . . it’s actually a social activity rather than an exercise activity. Liming is hanging out. Nights are hot and people sit on their porches. We walk past them and greet them with “good night” which sounds so final vs. our “good evening” greeting. We stop at various homes and sit on their porches for a few minutes before moving on.

Although people have known other Peace Corps Volunteers, meeting a new one is a curious opportunity in the village. We stopped at a relative’s home and were invited in for some conversation and a rum and coke. As I sat at the dining room table the woman of the house said, “Come, I want you to meet my father”. I walked into a bedroom as she turned on the light. There lays an elderly man sleeping. She shook him and said, “Daddy, look! wake up! Look, there is a white woman in our house”. He opened his eyes and turned over. He reached out for my hand and I placed it in his and he stared at the contrast of skin. This was an interesting encounter to say the least. Curiously, I wasn’t irritated or uncomfortable. If I had to describe an emotion, it would be amused.

No comments: