Sunday, January 10, 2010

What's Next?

Almost every volunteer here sold their house or gave up their rental, sold their furniture and most possessions, gave some things away and put a few memories in storage.


When I left for Peace Corps, I sold my car, packed up a few things in a big rolling duffle bag, put a backpack on my shoulders, closed my bedroom door, kissed my dog, my children, my grandchild and my daughter-in-law good-bye and left for two years.


My family is taking care of my house, my dog and my things. When I come back, I will greet all of them, open my bedroom door, unpack, and sleep in the same bed I left behind.


It was too easy. I’m not sure how I feel about it. Within hours of touch down, I found it easy to fall into the life I left. Why did I volunteer for Peace Corps if it is so easy to find the life I left behind? What did I expect anyway? This experience is suppose to change the way I live life, yet I found myself falling into the same life pattern I left.


I was only there for three weeks during the holidays, but that three weeks showed me a lot. I wonder if it would have been better to do Peace Corps as the others did. They have a built-in guarantee that life will be different upon return.


There are differences. The most important is this: Ava is three years old now, her hair has grown to her waist and she likes anything pink or princess. She talks, thinks and has opinions. We’ve lost the bond we had before I left. It makes me feel sad.

When I go into a grocery store, I look at it differently. Everything can be had under one roof. The abundance, cleanliness and vast amount of space are noticeably different and Trader Joe’s is within my reach.













Fashion has changed; skinny jeans are back. And the clothes people are wearing at the ski resort? Well, there are no words and the only way it can be expressed is through a picture. That's a guy is the black and white outfit!


I saw women in the strangest outfits at the mall; fish net stockings with garter belts showing and silly pink lacy socks lining spiked heals while others wore knee-high boots. All this and short thigh-high skirts and shorts to round out the look. What’s a girl to think?


I saw men in the tightest skinny jeans leaving nothing to the imagination which created a longing to see them in over-sized jeans allowing easy identification of the color and brand of underwear they are wearing. I silently began guessing what they were dressed for, but decided that I was thinking the way “old” people think, so I let those thoughts disappear.

There was a major fire that swept through my neighborhood in the mountains just before I left for Peace Corps. The Little Red House, a landmark in my tiny resort town was destroyed and the women who own the property vowed to rebuild, posting a small cardboard sign on their property. Now a new Little Red House stands in its place. A few new homes stand where burned out remains once were, but most of my neighbors took the insurance money or didn’t have insurance and will not rebuild. I lost my neighbors, but I gained an incredible view of the city beyond the mountain.

Have you heard of Red Box? What a great business! Red Box is giving Blockbuster Video Rentals a run for their business. Imagine renting a newly released video for $1 from a vending machine.

Technology has passed me by. I have trouble remembering how to operate the television and microwave oven. I’ve been told my old cell phone plan which is being held for me is now just that – old – and useless. I will need something called data for the new smart phones. I had to ask others to dial numbers for me because the new cell phones are so confusing. I joked with them that I have a flip phone; it was then I discovered that no one has a flip phone anymore. And, there is a new phone that has a peripheral that can be attached to the cell phone to add a projector! And I thought I was cool because I know about the Kindle and I even know a volunteer on the island who has one. Go figure.


These are just some of the things that make me feel different…a bit lost and detached from my old life. But, there is so much that makes me feel part of it and allows me to quickly assimilate into my past life. Ava and I will find that connection again. It just takes more than three weeks to bond. I love technology and will adapt. I already appreciate my city view in the mountains and the convenience of Red Box.

I will likely criticize the new fashions the same way I criticized the old styles before I left. I will smile to myself as I grocery shop because I will think about my Saint Lucian honed skill of hunting and gathering when I’m confused and frustrated while trying to make a decision in the 30 feet of isle space dedicated to nothing but shampoo and conditioner.

I may even apologize to the manager at Ralph’s who I steadily chastised before I left because he consistently ran out of Fruit and Nut Balance Bare Trail Mix Nutrition Bars; my pre-Peace Corps breakfast staple. It turns out he doesn’t have to worry about my return. The company discontinued them. I secretly wonder if the Ralph’s Manager rallied to make that happen.

But the big question for me is this: What will I do next? It seems easy to fall back into the same lifestyle I left. Is this what I want? Humm. I have another nine months to contemplate this question.

My Vacation


It’s strange to think that I spent my three week vacation at home. When I left, I told people in my village that I was going home for the holidays. When I returned, I told my kids it was time for me to go home. Home is in both places now, but I think my real home is still in California. That’s where my family lives. Family makes home…well, home.


So, here’s a pictorial recap of my life at home.

Holiday Boat Parade in Naples





Picking up Ava at Pre-School and marveling at all the learning resources































Ava’s Birthday Party













Hanging out with Barkley at the Bark Park












The beautiful views, culture, artwork and children's activities at The Getty


Hanging out with friends and family

Enjoying the "magic" of straight hair which is not possible in a tropical climate


Decorating the Christmas Tree

Baking and decorating cookies for Santa


Watching my grown son play Barbie Dolls with his daughter.


The mountains, the place where I can take a deep breath and leave everything behind





















A last dinner with friends and family



And, not to be forgotten, the Chicken Taco I was craving - it was great.

I tried smuggling Barkley into my suitcase, but it didn't work.

Leaving…it’s hard, knowing it will be another nine months before I return. But, then I’m excited to get back to my village and be with the people I have grown to love and care about.

4 comments:

Lois A. McNulty said...

Karen-
Thanks for inviting me on your California vacation! I feel like I just spent some time hanging out with your wonderful family.
About your decision to NOT completely abandon your American life when you entered Peace Corps, give away your belongings, sell your house, car, etc.
that was SMART! Believe me, that was VERY SMART!

Karen's Planet said...

Hey Lois - glad you liked the trip! I can only imagine how difficult it is to come home from Peace Corps the way you did. I think you are a lot stronger than me!

jay said...

hey mom,
i miss you. you're the best mom ever!!! aren't i the best son in the world for telling you how special u are?

jay

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Jay - I love you and miss you too. You are the best son who ever commented on this post!

(I had a great time at home).

Love you,
momster