Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Innocent Questions

I’d forgotten how exhausting questions can be. But, each question is important. Each question reveals the world of innocence. “Will a tsunami come to Saint Lucia?” I explain to Coco that Saint Lucia may experience a tsunami one day, but he is in no danger right now. His next question: “How do you know?”

Coco and Yvette have a lot of questions because of the Haiti disaster. They privately wonder if it could happen here on this island. So, I remain patient as he and his sister continue to ask questions.

I try to comfort them, explaining that scientists can predict tsunamis and they will be safe. Coco is worried about his home. With each answer I give, the questions get progressively difficult to answer.

“If I close all the windows, then the water can’t come in. Right, Miss Karen.”

“How high will the water get?”

“The water won’t break the brick walls will it Miss Karen?”

“How long will the water stay?”


I try to answer each question honestly while helping them feel safe.

Then the question that begs answering is asked, “Miss Karen, so scientists will tell us if an earthquake is coming?”

No comments: