Saturday, January 23, 2010

Michael*

The little boy who wants to learn to love himself turns out to be one reason why I am here (reference post “Love Yourself” 12/06/2009).


My first encounter with Michael was curious. He was in my computer class and another boy said, “Miss, Michael said he hates you”. Of course Michael denied saying it.


The next day when he arrived and before the program began, I took him aside. He was fidgeting and didn’t want to be with me. His body language was closed and he was anxious to get back to his friends.


I said, “Michael, I know you said that you hate me.” His response was anticipated, “No, Miss I didn’t say it”. Rather than argue with him, I told him no matter what he says about me to the children, I believe in him and will love him. He said nothing and ran back to his friends.

I began to notice that he would stare at me when I wasn’t looking. He seemed to always be nearby. I went home for Christmas and the children settled into their villages with school and the after-school program suspended during the holiday break. When I returned my relationship with Michael was different.


I arrived early to work in the computer room before the children arrived. I could hear the bus drive onto the gravel playground. I opened the door to greet the children.


Michael hides behind another child and then peeks playfully at me. His face transforms into a huge smile. This is the first time I’ve seen him since returning from my three week vacation. He is clearly happy to see me.


“Michael how have you been? I missed you.” I know he wants to hug me, but that’s not cool. I see a little boy and girl near him. I hug them first, then walk over and hug Michael. Since his peers accepted the hug, I knew he could accept one without embarrassment.


Later, I help him with the computer lesson and when I bend down, my hair flops over my shoulder. He reaches up and touches it. He looks up at me and says, “Is it colored?” I quickly respond with a smile, “no, this is the natural color.” “Why do you suppose you have light hair when my hair is black?” I shrugged and then he concluded, “It’s probably because your skin is white”. I said, “yes, probably”.


*For this public post, I refer to this boy as Michael.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that post very much. That must've made you happy.


Kevin

Karen's Planet said...

Totally made my day Kev!