Friday, January 29, 2010

Remembering John

It is hard to be away from home at times like this. The first time this happened, I was prepared. I knew it was going to happen. My friend David kept in contact and updated me regularly. When Gary died, I was sad. I had known for sometime that the end was near. I am grateful for the friendship he showed me before my retirement. Gary was a good man.


When I opened my email this morning, if anyone were around, they would have heard an audible gasp. This one I didn’t know about. John was loyal, caring and the leader of one of the best organizations for which I have worked. There were hard times and mergers, layoffs and changes that were difficult to understand. Agonizing decisions were made during that time.


John was a leader who cared and pushed back on the system as much as he could. He confided in me that it was difficult because he knew that the decisions being made would affect more than just one person. There are countless people, many still working at this company, who will never know that John’s tenacity and compassion is the reason they remain employed.


Traveling with John and the team was an adventure. There was the time we were on the second leg of a three city tour and stopped in Los Angeles, remaining in our seats, while more passengers boarded. As we waited in the claustrophobic environment, realizing we lived only a few miles from this confined hell, the team of five men and I concluded the administrative assistant who booked our reservations deserved an award for this one. When I got to the hotel that night my bag was stuffed with bags and bags of peanuts. It seems that pilfering airline peanuts and putting them in my suitcase was the entertainment that allowed them to remain sane.


Faking our way into the Admiral’s Club was another sport. John talked them into upgrading our seats on expired miles and then convinced them to send a large bottle of expensive wine to our plane. The commute was a celebration that evening. There is something to be said for getting something free.


There was another time when we arrived late in the night and John couldn’t figure out how to get the key out of the ignition. We concluded it was a rental and the only solution was to leave it in the ignition and exposed, hoping for the best.


There was the time when he asked me to navigate to White Sands Missile Range – what on earth was he thinking? We were fifty miles out of our way when he realized he had to drive and navigate.


It is difficult to be so far away at a time like this. I’ve lost touch with so many people that meant so much to me in the past. But, we move on with our lives. Funerals are a place where people say a final good-bye, swap stories, laugh at the good times and shed a tear knowing we have lost another friend. I will miss this memorial to honor my friend.


I am sitting on my porch doing laundry while writing this piece. I’m drinking my morning coffee while listening to the soft gentle island breeze. I can see the ocean waves from the porch – it is a beautiful morning. I can hear a preacher speaking over a loud speaker to those in the village. As life continues, I am taking just a few minutes to remember a loyal friend and to pay tribute to a good man. Thanks John for all you did for me. I learned so much from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute. I know how much he meant to you.

kev

Karen's Planet said...

Thanks Kev...