Monday, August 4, 2008

Working at Staying Young . . . I’m not ready for the Rocking Chair!


Peace Corps has made it abundantly clear that they are looking for experience. The new director is making the rounds. Newspapers, magazines, television, and radio are all part of their new campaign . . . the 50+ Initiative (http://www.peacecorps.gov/minisite/50plus/index.cfm). I know I’m getting older. It’s just that I don’t feel like I’m in this category!

I went to Rite-Aid yesterday to pick up a prescription. It seems I’m always picking up a prescription for something now. I don’t remember it being like this until now – but maybe it’s because of the way people respond to me.

The pharmacist at the counter was young, probably in her 30s. She is petite and professional. I told her I was there to pick up a prescription. She turned around to look for it and I pushed a few items to purchase onto the counter. . an ice pack and an ace bandage to nurse an ache here and a pain there. She found the prescription and looked down at the counter, which prompted her to give me their new “senior saver” card that I can use on Tuesday’s. She was genuinely trying to help, but am I really a senior now? I’ll be 59 in September. Is this a precursor to my “later” years in life?

My AARP Magazine came in the mail today. One of the articles is “50 Reasons to love being 50+”. I don’t have the heart to read it.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

awww, that stinks! If it makes you feel any better, I'm just 24 and I'm falling apart!

I'm constantly getting prescriptions, or having something happen like a random stomach bugs, muscle spasms, tonsils out due to a year long infection, bronchitis, tendonitis, epilepsy, muscle aches, impacted wisdom teeth out, flat feet, nearly broke my foot, sinus infection, etc...and thats all this year!!!!!!!!!

Now if that's any indication of MY future health :) hehe

Anonymous said...

Phooey on her! Phooey on that 59 b.s. And Phooey on AARP. I aint buying any of it. I want to see you come back with dreadlocks and a bongo under your arm and then throw that senior card back over the same counter as you say, "touché mon".