Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Welcome Phone Call from Saint Lucia

I received a call today from Helen, Deputy Director/Programming and Training Officer for the Eastern Caribbean. They wanted to hear about my experience and answer questions. They only received my resume and statement a couple of days ago. They are busy placing people in specific jobs. . . but as usual what I will be doing is still a mystery with a few more clues:
  • I'm confirmed for Institutional/Development Sector
  • There will be an internship at a high school
  • I will be working with youth - that's unexpected!
  • I should bring any electronic teaching/training information I've used in the past
  • I may do some teaching, but it is not my primary assignment
  • Shadowing will take place on Thursday's as a part of training.
  • There are thirteen new volunteers on Saint Lucia; five are "older"
We will arrive at Saint Lucia on August 27, followed by a couple of days staging in Miami. Orientation will take place on Saint Lucia until August 30 when volunteers go to assigned islands for seven weeks of training before being sworn in.

They said this is the first time they have made introduction phone calls. I told them my son, Jay, was Peace Corps Honduras and he is quite amused by the differences in the country processes, living conditions, etc. Obviously he had a much more rugged experience - at least to this point. That's him on the left with the plow and horse!


No comments: