Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Transforming Power

I need a transformer. I need to step down the 220V electricity to 110V for 1000 Watts. I must consider power surges and the different kinds of plugs that are used. I never thought I would know this much about electricity. At home, I buy something and plug it in, turn it on, and use it. Here, I must consider transformers, surge protectors, and adapters before even thinking of plugging something into the wall. The picture shows the complexity of plugging my laptop into an electrical outlet. A few weeks ago, I received an electricity “short course” from a knowledgeable sales person for which I am grateful.


I walk down the road to the bus stop to find a bus headed to Vieux Fort. I’m making the trip to buy a transformer as well as a few groceries at the Super J. I already have an extra adaptor and surge protector. I enter Builder’s Emporium and ask a young man for the transformer. This store only has a 1500 Watt or a 750 Watt transformer; no 1000 Watt. He heads for the phone to call the other store down the street; miraculously they have one. It is only a five minute walk. I enter the store where two women employees were talking. I asked for the transformer, explaining I need the step down from 220V to 110V. She looks at me as if I am from Mars indicating she probably didn’t have one. Without a word, she moves through a set of double doors, disappearing up the staircase. Just two or three minutes later she appears, box in hand, and affirms that she, in fact, does have one.


She set it on the counter near the cash register. She took it out of the box to show it to me. Feeling like an electrical expert, I look on the side and confirm it is indeed the 1000W step down transformer I’m seeking. She begins to ring it up and I ask her if she takes credit cards. . . she does. I hand her my Visa card and she says, “I don’t have a machine to process this”. OK, I get it. You take credit cards, but there is no machine so you don’t take credit cards. Just when I start digging for cash I notice that there is no plug; only exposed wires. I ask her about the plug and she responds, “Oh, you want that too?” I nod and she begins shuffling through boxes of electrical parts and comes up with a plug. “That will be $5.95”. I agree with the added amount to the total and she rings up the charge and I pay her. She begins putting the things in a bag when I asked, “Is someone going to put the plug and wires together for me?” She responds, “Oh, you need that too?” So much for feeling like an electrical expert.


Things are done differently in Saint Lucia. I’ll get used to it, but in the mean time, each new experience is another treasure that puts a smile on my face.

No comments: