Friday, January 23, 2009

Pauline

A few times a week I walk the half block to the bakery to pick up fresh bread. I walk up the step to the entrance and put two one dollar coins onto the counter. A woman emerges from the back and I say. “Six rolls please”. Within seconds she returns with a clear plastic bag filled with fresh rolls. I pick them up and head out the door. I round the corner and hear someone say, “Hey, who you?” I look over and there are a group of women at the corner. One woman says, “Come. Who you?”


I walk over to her and introduce myself. She tells me they have seen me, but don’t know who I am. I explain I am Peace Corps and there is an immediate smile. And then she says warmly, “My name is Pauline”. People in the village are used to Peace Corps volunteers here. She says, “Are you replacing Ryan?” Ryan is the Peace Corps volunteer who extended twice and left just a week ago. I go into more of an explanation than I’d like. I explain to them that I am working for the village foundation and I’m not here to replace Ryan who worked with a village basketball team.


Pauline asks, “Where your husband?” I explain I’m not married. She says, “Why not?” I explain that he died. “You need a man to lay with at night to keep you warm. I find you one.”


I’m relieved as she turns the conversation in another direction. “Where you from?” I explain I’m from Los Angeles, California. Do I know Michael Jackson? O.J. Simpson? Beyonce? Celine Dion? With each name I shake my head and Pauline seems disappointed. She’s written to O.J. but he didn't respond. She concludes he must be busy in prison. I nod my head in agreement.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh great. There goes the neighborhood! haha

Barbara said...

Oops! Put on your thinking cap Island Girl: You can tell Pauline that there are only two degrees of separation between you and Stevie Wonder and BB King; just to name a couple.

Thanks for the nice call. I hope your computer is up and running properly by now.

I am finally well and running around the city happy as could be!

TTFN Barbara :-)

PS: Do you know what 0_0 means?

Karen's Planet said...

0_0?

Anonymous said...

That's a funny conversation, but you only have to go to Texas for people to think that living in L.A. equals knowing celebreties.

Love ya,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

come on mom they were gooing to find me a new dad. what the hell.

Karen's Planet said...

ok boys - Texas is out (too close to Bush country) and no new dads either!

Karen's Planet said...

Citizen B (Barbara) I forgot about your celebrity status - of course, there are only two degrees of separation here...but I bet O.J. isn't on your celebrity list!

Barbara said...

I wish I were a celebrity. I'd like their paycheck.

In regard to O.J.: Don't make that bet. He used to give us free cookies at the Westwood Cookie Emporium on the weekends. And I did a couple of really fun shows with him in the late eighties. He was always wonderful and funny. We all liked him very much--I didn't want the slayings to be true...

However, I feel that after years of being spoiled to death by everyone around him, his ego finally reached critical mass and blew all his reason and rational into the ether. Eventually, boundaries meant nothing to him.

A tragic man with a tragic legacy. And still dangerous.

On the O_O topic: It is a symbol depicting two large eyes and a closed mouth. People use this symbol as a shortcut to explain that what they just read left them feeling like "what the heck?" -- Basically their response to what you just wrote left them feeling like a deer caught in headlights. It is also a way of saying "Are you nuts?" Some use it as a joke others use it seriously. It all depends on what you wrote.

How do you say goodbye for now on your island?

Take care of yourself. XO bb

Karen's Planet said...

I should not bet against your celebrity list. Oplez dede pou li pwezan.