Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Raw Pasta and Addition

There is a light tapping on my door. I look through the window and I can see a few tiny heads bobbing up and down on the steps of my porch. It’s been a long day and I’m tired and now the children want my last spurt of energy.


I woke early this morning. Another volunteer came by to look at my kitchen wall – a wall full of charts and drawings and information formatted in a timeline of history about Saint Lucia. I was quite anxious to talk with him because he’s been here longer than me and will have another perspective on the subject. This is a subject I’ve become passionate about. Eric stayed for a couple of hours and the conversation was easy, interesting and illuminating.


Later I went to the Village Council to submit some paperwork and then ran up to the Village Library to poke around. Egbert, the Librarian, is always happy to see me and likes to spend time telling me stories about what he knows of Saint Lucian history. As I walked home I realized that I was “intellectually” exhausted from the day….and now, as I sit here on my living room chair, I want to ignore the little tapping on my door and bobbing small heads that are seen through my window.


I open the door and the oldest, Yvette, asks “Can we come in?” I motion for them to enter and see two small children following her with paper and pencils in hand; two more boys follow them. My house, just five minutes ago, a quiet sanctuary, is now buzzing with the laughter and excitement of five small children.


Yvette looks at me and says, “These two girls are in Kindergarten. Will you please teach them?”

Now, I am not a Kindergarten teacher, nor a primary school teacher, or a secondary school teacher. I teach college level courses. I know nothing about teaching children, but the little girls are sitting on my sofa with their paper notebooks open and a pencil in their little hands ready to write. I realize I need to quickly transfer my skills and react to this request.


First, I try to assess what they know. I ask a few questions. “Show me how you write your name. Let’s sing the ABC song. Can you count to ten?” Alright, they know that stuff so I decide to teach them simple math.

I look in my cupboard and find a bag of pasta. I begin teaching them how to solve the problem 1+1 using the pasta. After a few minutes I realize I’m a very bad Kindergarten teacher. This conclusion is validated as I watch the little boy eating the raw pasta.



As they are sitting on my floor, eating raw pasta and looking at me with blank looks on their faces, they hear the bread truck honking outside and rush out my door and to their house across the street. I watched them from my balcony as they emptied coins from a box onto the table on their patio. They are scraping twenty-five cents together to buy freshly baked bread rolls at a discount price from the truck. It was then that I made a decision. I will design my next kindergarten tutoring session using freshly baked bread rather than raw pasta so they have something easier to eat during the next math demonstration.

12 comments:

Sue said...

You need to get M&M's better than bread.

Karen's Planet said...

humm, interesting idea.

Barbara said...

Hmm, maybe fresh baked bread was more interesting than math.

Did you ask them what subject they were interested in? Academic or something from the arts...

Your wide range of knowledge should give them plenty of exciting topics to choose from.

One of my favorite stories so far. I hope there are more chapters. This story should be in the PC newsletter.

Take care! BB

cbsatter said...

Karen - I agree with Sue on using M&M's vs. bread.

Karen's Planet said...

Alright - who wants to send me M&Ms? :-)

Barbara said...

nBTW check out: HowStuffWorks.com
Many interesting topics there. I have it incorporated into my computer's homepage.

What? No M&Ms on the island? It would be very interesting to know what your local market stocks.
I'm not expecting Ralph's or 711 but thought a small family market would for sure carry M&Ms, chips and Coke. How far off am I?

Thanks IG. XOXO Barb

Karen's Planet said...

I'm not sure about M&Ms but I don't recall seeing them - they have Cadbury everywhere. This seems to be chocolate of choice on the island. I see some candy bars - Milky Way Dark, Oh Henry; expensive compared to a local chocolate candy.

American Cookies are very expensive, but you can buy a "local" version - not sure where they are made, but relatively inexpensive.

Anything that is familiar from home costs more money. Chips are available and I have bought them because I want them. I don't know how much I paid for them - probably don't want to know either.

Coke is pretty available - however, I like Diet Coke and any soft drink without sugar is difficult to find.

There is Chinese Food on the island and you can also find cheesecake on some parts of the island...one of the local groceries in Castries has it and there is also a high end coffee shop "Ritual" that has it as well as high end restaurants. Again expensive.

One of the things that surprised me was to find King's Hawaiian Rolls here! I'm still looking for the See's Candy - the only box I've found on the island is the one that was mailed to me for Christmas.

If you come here and want to Americanize your diet, it will be expensive - but if you want to eat more local foods it's more affordable.

Jenna said...

I'm doing TEFL now and with the kids that age we use lots of pictures and vocabulary...we ask things like "what is this?" and show them a picture and they have to say it, and then something like....if its a toothbrush...."do I brush my hair with this??? No? Do I write with this?? No?? What do I do with this??" usually they'll say it or start motioning "That's right! I brush my teeth!" or they are really into kids songs.....we do the Little Indian Song, Twinkle Twinkle, Monkey's Jumping on the Bed......ooooo teach them the "scidamarinky dinky dink, scidamarinky do" song and the motions........or with math.....try small pieces of candy or bread.....put 1 piece down "How many pieces are there?" "one" put another piece down "If I add another piece, now how many are there?" "two!" "if I add two pieces, how many pieces of bread are there" "four!" "good!" "but what if I eat one piece? now how many are there?" "three!" and then show them how to do that written down

Barbara said...

Thanks for the food info IG; very interesting indeed. I remember you telling me about their sweet-tooth but I really have the picture now. You should post your response; it's really informative.

Hey, when in Rome do as the Romans, especially when it comes to their meals. I've been all through Europe, up to Canada, down through Mexico; even spent Christmas in Acapulco. I ate the local diet/menu wherever I was and except for the white-worm cheese served at a little restaurant just outside of Rome, everything was exceptionally delicious; strange at times but delicious.

I've only had island food two times: Bel Isle (once upon a time a marvelous small island between Detroit and Canada, and Catalina Island (just 26 miles across the sea from San Pedro, CA). Funny how familiar the food was to me on those islands.

Anyway, I think I would love all the fruits and fish on your real tropical island and would probably love your villages diet of eating everything so fresh especially since sweets are not on my diet.

BTW those children are darling.

Talking about food, why not teach the children to "eat this and not that" for a session since you are really good at figuring out healthy diets.I'm just say'n...

They could always teach you something in return--like a song or dance or game or a spooky story.

I'm still checking you out every day girlfriend. You seem healthy and happy. This is good.

IDEA: Ship Barkley down there. Brendan, "T" and Ava can deliver him. I saw Barkley's video of him in the sand so the island sounds perfect for him.

XO Barb

Karen's Planet said...

Jenna, I bet you are awesome with those kids! You have been so helpful on the Peacecorps2 chat line. Your patience is amazing.

Jenna said...

oh man, I dunno, I am still learning, its only actually my first week teaching, I spent last week just observing.

I feel like I finally had a break through today with my 11-14 year old class....We are on special "winter course" right now and the theme is international...so like monday was italy, tuesday was india, wednesday egypt, and today was Ireland....and the subject with Ireland was music. I haven't been able to get them to talk or answer at ALL this week. So I played them a YouTube vid of the Irish dancing, you know, the riverdance thing...Actually this vid, I FF to 1:45 where the music gets awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaa-2t2zmQ

They hadn't seen the type of dance before, and thought it was AWESOME, then I tried to get them to stand up to try to do a little of the dance to the Irish music with me. "no no no no no! Teacher I can't do that, its too hard! no no no, make him do it! He can dance" on and on.

FINALLY, I got 5 out of 9 kids up! Over half the class! And they were all trying to practice doing the Irish river dance with me!!! It was great! They had *so* much fun. After that, all the kids, including the ones that didn't dance, wanted to talk and ask questions and answer! I was sooooo glad, it was like the new teacher finally broke through! Oooo it was so fun, I wish I had a picture/vid of all of us trying to river dance!

Karen's Planet said...

Jenna - love the video. My husband was first generation. His parents both immigrated from Ireland. His brother still dances (after a few glasses of wine). Check out the Clancey Brothers - an Irish Folk group - caters to the working class. We love the music in our house. It's sounds like you are having a great experience. Keep it up!