Saturday, December 13, 2008

Visions of a Crown

On the way home she said, “I feel like I have a crown on my head”. It was another warm night, the windows were down and my hair was blowing as I sat in the backseat of Brenda’s car. She continued, “I’m on a high. I am leaving a legacy”. Her smile was wide and the pride she felt was noticeable to both me and Greg, another Peace Corps Volunteer. She looked taller and more commanding than I remember. This was a special day for Brenda. She has been an integral part of the development of the school for which she is sharing in this latest accomplishment.


We arrived early at the primary school. The formal ceremony would begin at 3:00. There would be distinguished speakers from the Saint Lucian Government, gifts of appreciation, song and dance, food, and a ribbon cutting ceremony. What this school accomplished was not easy. They were given enough funding to buy fifteen computers, computer desks and chairs, a server and a printer, as well as refurbish the room and install air conditioning.


Brenda was assigned to Vieux Fort as their Community Development Officer before her recent move to the District of Micoud. It was largely her effort and collaboration with the forward thinking principal that created the recipe for success. No one could possibly say no to these two persistent women with a vision for their children and their community.


I’d been to this school before and written about the unique and progressive learning environment in an earlier post (Grateful Reflections, September 2008). We arrive early and were greeted by scores of children who were excited about the day, proud of their school and curious about the white volunteers descending on their campus. I walked into the Reading Room and instantly had four little girls around me, all touching my hair, my skin and my clothes. I asked them to take me on a tour. We picked up a little boy along the way. They took me to their gardens and said, “Picture time”. They want to ham it up for a camera. They explained that this garden teaches students to value beauty and the environment.


More children join the pack as we move slowly around the campus. Each child wants to hold my hand and as we progress through the tour, I look down and cannot see an inch of my arms – I only see the little hands of children.

Before explaining the significance of each stop, they want their picture taken. One little girl takes my hand and turns it over – then compares the colors of our palms. Although her skin is dark, her palms are nearly as light as mine. Another little girl takes my purse and flings it over her shoulder. They take me into a classroom where they recite the lessons on the classroom walls.


When the tour of the gardens, the reading room, and classrooms are complete they announce, “Game Time”. We go outside in the courtyard and play Simon Says where I immediately do the wrong thing and they all laugh. Then we play Mr. Wolf’s Clock Game. One child moves the hands of the clock to a specific time and remains in front of the clock. The rest of the children move a few feet away and try to guess the time. Each time they ask Mr. Wolf if they are correct. The closer they get to the time the closer they step towards Mr. Wolf. We play the green game where one child guesses what the other children have secretly identified; it was always something about me – my shirt, my glasses, my eyes, etc.


Suddenly the teachers call the children and they leave running to line up and all is quiet. I see Brenda with the other volunteers, Greg and Melaney and we enter the large room with at least a hundred folding chairs, the Christmas Tree, a podium and a stage in front of the room. There is a cool tropical breeze circulating the room. We are seated in the front rows. The auditorium is packed with children, teachers, staff, parents, clergy, community leaders and government officials.


The meeting begins with a prayer led by a local priest. Everyone is acknowledged, including the Peace Corps Volunteers. Fifteen computers may not seem like much. In the United States, we might expect nothing less and possibly a lot more technology in our schools. To many in Saint Lucia the computer is still mysterious. One government official spoke about the power of information that students will have access to when the open their browser. They have ideas about how to use their new computer lab: an internet café, student homework and short courses for the community members are ideas that are explained. Brenda takes the podium and talks about the accomplishment with all the pride one could possibly have.



A group of children sang and another group performed a traditional dance. The cultural dance is a quadrille. It reminded me of a cross between a waltz and a square dance. They wear the national costume called a Wob Dwiyet which is a large, colorful dress (wob) worn over a jupon (long, white skirt with red ribbon running across), with a scarf around the neck. It wasn’t long after my arrival I realized anytime I saw this costume something special was about to happen. Long ago, women would wear this costume only on very special occasions such as when they were getting married. (I had a video of the dance and the file was damaged. I found this picture on the web)



The speeches have been spoken, the awards and plaques distributed, the singers sung and the dancers danced and now it was time for the ribbon cutting ceremony. We move outside and there it was; a large red ribbon around the door holding their newest dream. Inside that door was a newly painted and air conditioned room, furnished with brand new chairs and desks, fifteen brand new computers, a server and network complete with a printer; but most of all the pride of everyone present at this celebration. A prayer was said and the ribbon was cut. The priest walked inside, his holy water in hand, and blessed the room. Then people lined up and walked through the room, smiles on their faces and whispering as if it were a library. As I watched Brenda sit at one of the new computers I saw the vision of the crown placed on her head. It was a good day in Saint Lucia.



No comments: