Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Uncommon Weekend – Part III

Japan's Country Director and his wife announced that they were opening their home to all the volunteers. We packed up our things, changed clothes and walked to their house. It was only a couple of blocks from the Conference Centre. We walked through mud and puddles of water on the unpaved road that led to their home. Just when I think I’ve seen it all; Rituals Coffee, Wi-Fi, Burger King, Gelato Ice Cream, a movie theater, I pass by Rodney Bay Mall and then past a Curves Gym. I wonder if I left the island and forgot.

We walked through a large gate into a community of town homes. We took off our shoes and washed our feet from the bucket provided on the porch. Through the entry way is a small living room; to the left is a kitchen and a dining room. The dining room and living room each had doors leading to a patio. Smells of hamburgers and hotdogs filled the air. Some of the volunteers were already enjoying the blue sparkling pool beyond the BBQ.
We stayed there for a few hours enjoying good company, a nice BBQ and wonderful homemade sushi, rice balls, and other good food . The highlight for many of us was watching the JOVC Volunteers practice a traditional Fishing Dance that they are to perform next weekend during the Japan Day they are planning in the Castries Town Center.

We left their home with a warm feeling. We made many new friends and learned so much about each other. Two busses later and a few shouts of “Hey Blondie”, the familiar sounds of smoochie man, and I’m back home in my little village writing about an experience I never would have had if it hadn’t been for the day I filled out the Peace Corps application form.

Epilogue: This is the end of this piece, but I can’t wait to tell you about our reunion with the JOVC the following Saturday at “Japan Day” in Castries. I have a couple of videos that I’ll be posting to show you all I’ve learned. And wait till you see the me in a new outfit!

One final thought: You may be wondering “does she work?” Well, yes I do, and that post will be forthcoming. Also, you may cast your opinion at the bottom of each post, and I really do love hearing your comments!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Yup, been wondering 'bout you working. Sounds more like a vacation to mel; what with the island tours, eating great food, BBQ's, flirting with mister smoochie --man, moving from one host family to another, mud baths, pending Sundays on Skypes, blogging your personal travel journal, taking pictures, getting new outfits, meeting new people...Need I go on? When RU going to be paying the fiddler girly? Jealousy isn't pretty thing girlfriend and I am feeling the green-eyed monster creeping up on me--Are you sure your papersd said Peace Corps and not Club Med??!!

Barbara said...

Hmm, new outfit. Um, did you pick it out? Someone else picked the shoes out for you...right?

I'm just sayin'...

Barbara said...

LOVE the pictures in this particular story!!! Somebody knows how to cook!!!

Hi Lois!! Love your scarf!

Karen's Planet said...

My new outfit does come with shoes. I'll post it tomorrow....stay tuned.