Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Election Night Party

I woke early on Tuesday morning. Finally, it’s Election Day. I’ve tired of the election rhetoric. I’m tired of George Bush. I won’t mention Dick Cheney. I’m tired of the finger pointing between Congress and the Executive Office. Will anyone take responsibility for this mess? I’m tired of watching the stock market plunge. I’m tired of hearing about sub-prime loans. I’m tired of the war that I never thought was a good idea.


I’m tired of business influence on government. And speaking of their influence, what is up with pork? Doesn’t this belong on the dinner table and not in legislation? If pork is necessary, do we really need a whole barrel of it? I’m sick when I hear a number I can’t understand that is tied to the national debt. I resent bailing out business executives that blatantly stole from the purses of our 401K and other retirement vehicles.

I fear for the declining values of Americans and can’t help but think there might be a link to the declining hope people are feeling. I’m hurt that other countries attitudes toward the United States are increasingly negative. I’m tired of the promises. Change, humm. Let’s see some action. Whew! Now I feel better.

I packed a few things in my lightweight bag; my toothbrush, some shorts and a t-shirt, as well as a change of clothes for the next day. I will stay with Elaine tonight. I checked my purse to ensure I had an umbrella, my phone, some money and, of course, my mosquito repellent. I locked the door and ran down the stairs to walk to the nearest bus stop. I’m on my way to Castries to meet with Peace Corps friends. We are going to the Cultural Center where the U.S. Embassy is hosting an election night party.

The bus ride took me by surprise. I was sitting in the middle of the bus. There were several animated conversations both in front of me and behind me. The common word I heard was “Obama”. A rap song about Obama was spewing from the speakers in the van. I turned to the people directly behind me and said, “It is very exciting to see how Obama has stirred hope in so many”. They agreed and asked several questions about the election. Others on the bus began listening and asking questions. Many wanted to know if the Vice President was a separate vote. All expressed that Obama represented renewed hope for Saint Lucia. Some were going to election night BBQs and other assorted parties.

We met at the Peace Corps Office. We spent an hour catching up and then walked over to the venue. When we arrived there was a table with pins and buttons. The pins were especially nice. An American Flag on one side, the Saint Lucian Flag on the other. There were Obama/Biden buttons and McCain/Palin buttons. The Obama buttons went fast. There were McCain buttons still sitting on the table when we left a few hours later. I did see one couple wearing them.



The party was thoughtful. There was a lot of food and an open bar. There was an official from the Embassy to greet us when we arrived. The people were a mixture of Saint Lucian nationals and United States citizens. I spoke with several of the nationals – one man in particular. He is very interested in Saint Lucian history and its artifacts…a subject I’ve been researching and studying for the last two months.


There were two big televisions on each side of the room and lots of chairs for us to sit on.



It was rumored that Sir John Compton’s widow, Lady Janice Compton, was there – the one wearing all white on the far right. I can’t confirm this is she as I didn’t get a chance to talk with her. Elaine and I, along with a few others left before the election was called.

Two short bus rides later, a walk up a steep hill and we arrived at Elaine’s house. We turned on the television and settled in for what we thought might be a long night. Twenty minutes after the polls closed in the west, the election was called. A few minutes later the concession speech was delivered. I was numb. It’s been two years, but it all happened so fast. I expected the Obama win, but didn’t expect the emotion that came from it.

One Saint Lucian woman said to me, “I had no idea so many white people would vote for a black man”. How have we represented ourselves that someone would make such a statement? The whole thing about French Fries being renamed Freedom Fries was absurd and an example of extreme nationalism gone amuck. It is divisive. It can get in the way of seeing how others see the world and we become blind to how we are driving them further away. I believe the election itself represented positive change, and for the first time in a long time, the world is taking notice. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to say this, but I’m proud of our country.

What I observed is something I haven’t felt since Kennedy’s administration. There are similarities that can be drawn from how people felt then and the hope many are feeling now. They both represent a new direction – a passing of the baton. As a young girl, the school gave us the afternoon off when John F. Kennedy came to Torrance. He spoke at the South Bay Shopping Center, now the Galleria. I ran from school with several friends. We didn’t want to be late. Even at the age of ten, I knew this was important. As he was driven off in a convertible we ran after him. The car was moving at a very slow pace and he was shaking hands with the crowd. I moved towards the car just in time to connect with his hand. I remember the 1960 election like no other in history . . . until now. People who didn’t vote for Obama are enthusiastic about the change that has already taken place. Now it’s time to see if he can unite congress, the nation, and the world and deliver on the challenges ahead.


No comments: