Saturday, November 22, 2008

Here’s Looking at You

The people I’m renting my apartment from live downstairs. Elizabeth and John are probably two of the kindest and most gentle people I’ve met. The first full day I was here, I experienced an electrical problem. There was a loud pop and the television was dead. John came up to investigate and when he didn’t have an answer he called his wife. He said to me, “I’m so disappointed. We want you to be very comfortable here. We will get you another television.” They had an electrician here within a couple of hours who promptly fixed the problem, bringing the cable television back to life. Now, when you are on Saint Lucian time – that is lightening speed!

The morning of Jounen Kreywol, Elizabeth brought me a traditional breakfast. She knew I had been living on the other side of the village for the past few weeks, so she took me on a small tour, showing me the supermarket and the village bakery. Last night she came up for two reasons. The first was to ask me if I wanted to join her and other village people in the morning to re-paint the cross walk. I quickly said “Yes!” Although I wanted to say “Hell, no!”.

Many times I’d rather read a book or spend time alone. Other times I'm glad I say yes when I want to say no. This was one of those times. Things like this take me away from my comfort zone – then I remember that’s part of the reason I’m here. . . to get out of that zone. I had a great time, met some new people, and learned a new skill. . . painting on asphalt. Anyone who comes to visit me will be immediately taken to the spot that I painted. It’s impressive.

Getting out of my comfort zone leads me to explain her second reason for the visit. She said, “Do you like red snapper?” I told her, yes I do. She said she had some to give me. Great, I love fish! Then she explained that she had a previous volunteer who lived here. She said the first time she gave him snapper, the heads were still on and the bones were still in its little body. She said that he was a little turned off by its sight and from then on she needed to fillet them for him. I’m thinking, “Oh my gosh! You need to do that for me too!” But, I politely respond, “Yes, there are a lot of us from the United States who feel that way.” I was hoping she would hear the message.

She gave me a little bag this morning. They were wrapped in a black plastic bag so I was unable to get a visual. The whole day, I’m thinking – please God, let me see them the way I do in a restaurant…no heads, tail, bones or skin. I have been talking to myself all day, knowing I have to deal with this. It’s Brendan’s birthday and when I called him he said, “Mom, take pictures.”
Well, here they are. They are looking at me. This is terrible.

I’ve been slowly eliminating things from my diet for the past twenty years. First it was steak, then pork, then hamburger, then hot dogs. Then I started eliminating body parts – nothing but chicken breast, nothing with bones, definitely nothing ground. This was not a planned lifestyle, but rather a slow process of becoming completely disgusted at the thought of eating a chicken leg or a piece of rare steak, or even jello.

So, now they are looking at me. They gave their little life for me and this is anything but appetizing. I have to do it. It’s not fair to them if I don’t. I covered one of their little heads with the black bag. This way I didn’t have to look at them. I beheaded it. I’m so sorry. Then I did it again. I’m even more sorry.

Neither of these creatures have a head. Now it’s time to filet them. I had no idea what I was doing…but I think I came up with a good three ounces of meat.

I wrapped them up and put them in the freezer. The vision of what I had just done was too fresh. I will eat them another day. I promise. For tonight, I will eat leftover vegetarian pasta.

10 comments:

Karen's Planet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Thanks for noting my phone vs. blogging message.
Did you send JFK a nod today?...And how about St. Lucia's St. Cecilia celebration today? Did you go to church and then enjoy the music and street events?

Okay, about the deboning of fish. It is much easier for me to debone a fish after it has been cooked (broiled, BBQ'd, sauteed, poached, baked, etc.). However, you can filet one quite nicely beforehand if you have very sharp kitchen knives. For you--cook it first because it only takes seconds to debone a cooked fish and you won't have to suffer for long.

You can go to YouTube and type in: debone a fish. Just look at the fish video; nothing else. They have two excellent videos and some just ok. This will aid you in respectfully filleting and deboning your fish; and the person who gave it to you will be happier (including the fish who is looking down at you from fish heaven).
Uh, maybe you should hold off (or not; I don't want to push you) on posting future pictures of your kitchen 'artistry' after you watch a couple videos and practice a few times. I'm just sayin'...

Having a little fun with you GF but give the youtube videos a try--You'll impress yourself and your island friends.

BTW my mother and sister think that the bowl you painted for me is absolutely darling; very delicate artwork.

I love this blog! BTW, poor Linda. Thank God she is safe. I feel so bad that she had to go through that frightening experience.

Karen's Planet said...

Your mother and sister have not taste in bowls! Yes, what an experience Linda had. I forgot to ask her if she got to slide down the ramp of the airplane - at least that could be fun. Glad you like the blog. I'll take a look at how to clean the fishies.

For those of you who don't know, Barbara and I bought two identical bowls and painted them - I gave mine to her and she gave hers to me. I got the better deal! Regardless, it was fun.

Adventure Melaney! said...

Awww, you're not eating the fish heads yet? I find that the best part of the head is the jaw. I haven't been able to eat an eye yet though. Of course, actually preparing fish is a whole different thing...

Karen's Planet said...

Thanks for the encouragement Melaney. I don't think I'll be eating heads anytime soon. Is this what you are bringing for Thanksgiving dinner?

Jenna said...

thank goodness--just your mention of how you'd "been slowly eliminating things from my diet for the past twenty years.....but rather a slow process of becoming completely disgusted at the thought of eating a chicken leg or a piece of rare steak, or even jello." And all that in b/w

The last couple years I've started doing the same thing and NO ONE understands it. My sister sorta does because she's as picky as a 5 yr old, but that's just because she is as picky as a 5 yr old! My family and b/f constantly tease me.

I WON'T eat hot dogs, nuggets, lunch meat, chicken or turkey breasts, ham....sausage....1/2 the time steak

I WILL eat bacon, ham from Heavenly Ham (did you have that out west? Its thick sliced so its "okay"), thanksgiving style Turkey (again, thick sliced, so its "okay"). Fish & other seafood....

Just from what I've read of meals you prepare, "like you" (again from what I've read), I'm not vegetarian, but MUCH prefer vegetable oriented meals or side dishes. One restaurant has a pasta on the menu and you choose either chicken or shrimp to top it--I always ask for steamed vegetables to top it instead. Any time my mom has us all over for dinner....its usually chicken or steak.....with artichoke, salad, & some type of veggi. I take only a few bites of the meat that I specially picked out for my plate and then all my veggies, even doubling on the veggies.

Now that you write that, that's what've been doing. Slowly narrowing meat out of my diet--for me its more of specific types because I don't like what the type looks like or how it was processed. Its exactly like you said "rather a slow process of becoming completely disgusted at the thought of"

Hrmmmm I may blog about this on my own blog, do you mind if I quote you? You just said it so much better than I can (clearly)....and its exactly what I've done.

I love snapper too--GL with that

Jenna said...

I wrote a blog about it, couldn't help myself! I put it on my other blog, not my PC blog which is the one I think you know of. Both blogs are on my same blogger account tho!

http://jennawalk.blogspot.com/2008/11/she-found-way-to-describe-my-food-habit.html

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Jenna - no we have Honey Baked Ham, but not Heavenly Ham - Honey Baked is spiral and thin so it may not meet your criteria.

I had a smile on my face as I read your response - I thought I was the only weird person with these picky eating habits. I tend to eat the same thing every day for years - then switch. When I was a young girl, it was tuna sandwiches. Before I left it was tortillas with cheese and salsa. Now I'm searching for what it will be.

Be my guest and blog about this to your hearts content!

(to my readers, Jenna is going to China to teach for awhile, and is pursuing Peace Corps after that.)

Jenna said...

haha, so glad you enjoyed my blog--sorry I've now cut deli meat out of your diet! But really, I just can't even stand the though of it, hehe.

ah yes, Heavenly Ham and Honey Baked Ham are the same thing.....to be precise about it, ours USED to be Heavenly Ham but was bought out or changed names to Honey Baked Ham--same place though. I can eat that ham, the only ham I will eat. Its just thick enough.

I do the food thing too....for 2 years it was TONS of Chinese, now its TONS of Mexican. My "bf" thinks I'm 100% insane. I don't think it is at all though. Glad to know you do it too, haha!!

Yes, I'm actually about to e-mail my Peace Corps recruiter with an updated resume and note saying I'd like to reactivate as soon as possible, hopefully before I leave for China in January, that was I maybe can leave knowing I have a new nomination! *fingers crossed!*

Anonymous said...

i'm proud of you mom, you keep doing things to get out of your comfort zone.