Saturday, August 23, 2014

And so...here I go again

This time, it’s a short two months vs. the rather long two-year Peace Corps adventure. 

It seems long ago that I saw the Webster University Email announcing openings in Ghana to teach.  But then the date to leave came so suddenly that I wondered if I could get packed on time.  It seemed easier to leave for two years – if I forget something, it could be shipped.  After all, it only took 6 months to get one of my packages to Saint Lucia!

So, a bit frazzled and tired from less sleep than I’d like and I’m on my way.  Now I have the time to reflect.  WTF?  And, why am I doing this?  I left my volunteer work, my granddaughters, my family, my car, my spa tub, and my dog – OMG Barkley! 

Will my family remember to secure the dog door at night so he doesn’t go out and become raccoon food!  And Ava – is she really mature enough to remind dad that she shouldn’t have sugar before math tutoring?  Mia?  She’s just started sounding out words.  She needs practice!  


What about the kids at the shelter that I tutor?  Will there be enough tutors when school begins?  It isn’t easy to leave a life behind.

This is certainly a life I had never envisioned.  I wasn’t supposed to be riding in an airplane.  I was to be in a RV.  I was to be seated alongside John – seeing the United States and all the incredible nature it holds.  But it just wasn’t meant to be.  

Oh, how I love nature!  And flying above the clouds in the sky!

I was so young when John and I talked about what life would be like when our children were raised.  As I look back, I realize I didn’t really know how to dream.  I let others dream for me. When I was just a couple of years from retirement I realized I needed to dream MY plan.  I have a plan – however loose that it is.  That plan includes looking down at the clouds.


As I settle into the flight the OMG feeling fades.  Frankly, I’m just not satisfied unless I’m stretching myself.  The discomfort of cultural difference is somehow comforting.  So I suppose the better question is, “will I ever be satisfied to really retire?”  Let the fun begin - a couple of days in Washington D.C. to rest up – and then on to Accra, Ghana.  Yup, life is sweet!

No comments: