Sunday, April 18, 2010

We All Swear


Today we lost one volunteer and gained seven new volunteers.



Margo, our Country Director stands, looks at the Peace Corps Trainee’s and says, “I, say your name, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” TITLE 5 PART III Subpart B CHAPTER 33 SUBCHAPTER II § 3331 The Oath of Office


This is EC81’s day and like us and every group before them, they have sworn to defend the constitution, so help them God!


So here I am, sitting in the third row. Everyone is dressed in nice clothes. This will be the last group of Trainees that I will watch transform into full volunteers. EC81 (Eastern Caribbean Group Number 81) as instructed, and in unison, raise their right hands and affirm that they are going to defend the United States Constitution against all enemies.


Really? We all take this same oath. This is a very serious oath and it warrants time to consider the promise each of us makes when we become a volunteer.

I had no idea when I arrived that this was going to be my job. The United States of America has entrusted me to defend our Constitution. Wow! Imagine me with such an important job! And, I thought I was here to help people. I look around the room and I have no clue if there is an enemy here. Everyone looks peaceful. Judging from the oath, Peace Corps Volunteers should be both suspicious and cautious. This needs to be examined. If there is an enemy in the room what will I do?

The Peace Corps did not issue guns to us and even if they did I wouldn’t know what to do with one. I could hit the enemy with my umbrella or go outside and find a rock to throw or go down to the sea and collect shells with which I could fashion some kind of weapon. Maybe I could gather a small piece of bamboo and find twine and tie a lot of shells on it to hit the enemy in the head. Do you think that would be effective? No, you are right, I need a BIG piece of bamboo.

As Peace Corps Volunteers we get hours of training. There is an initial two months of training; then every four months there is more training. There is also special training. We are ready and able. They train us to teach, give us technical training, safety training and health education. They teach us about the country's culture and history. They show us how to take public transportation and teach us about local foods. They tell us what to do in the event of floods, earthquakes, hurricanes and riptides.

But they never talk about how we should defend the constitution against the enemy. This is curious. However, as Peace Corps Volunteers we are expected to be resourceful and good problem solvers.


Who knows why this is the promise we make, but strange as it is, everyone promises. Why do we promise to do something that we are not prepared to do? I bet you are thinking huh? Well so am I. So let’s look at this a little further.

Three days earlier I was at the primary school in the village. It was a rainy evening and as I walked up to the school, I could hear the crunch of gravel under my feet as I neared the auditorium. Music was playing and could be heard a block away. It's party time.

When I walked in the room, there were balloons and streamers. Angled-placed chairs replaced the desks that are normally in the room. The white sheet covered the portable blackboard on the stage and sitting on a desk just a couple of feet away was a computer and projector. The DJ was testing his equipment.

In the back of the room were three large tables for food and at the side of the room two more tables were holding a large cake in the shape of a key with writing "Andy Behl's Key to Mon Repos". The tables were decorated with traditional Creole material and the room was festive. There was a note artistically drawn on the other chalk board behind the food tables that read “Farewell Behl”. This was obviously a celebration and there were no enemies in sight.

This is an old picture of Brenda, but one that I love. Brenda is my IPP (Institutional Point Person). She was also Andy's IPP.

She walked into the room with pride that she had put this special event together for someone very special and who is leaving a legacy behind.

Hold on! I can't let this one go by. Lets go back a few sentences. Isn’t that a strange name – Institutional Point Person. This is another curious Peace Corps invention.

When thinking about this title, I picture a woman alone in a room wearing a white lab coat. The room has white walls and linoleum floors. The woman has no expression. She sits at a white table on a white chair. There is nothing else in the room. The door to the room is hard to see because it is also white and everything blends together making it difficult to see anything beyond white. It is very sterile. I walk into the room and over to the table hearing the echo of my footsteps...but wait, this isn't Brenda!

Brenda doesn’t look like an Institutional Point Person. She is wearing a short and flowing dress, sleeveless, sexy and full of color. She is warm and loving. She is beaming with a smile so broad across her face that she lights up the room. She is animated, happy and fun. She walks over to me and we hug. She tells me how happy she is. I don’t call her my IPP, I call her my friend. Doesn’t that sound better? Oh dear, I’m off subject again.

We celebrated Andy Behl’s nearly three years as a volunteer. Here is a picture of him with his group, EC77. He is the last one on the right. He extended his service to complete a project that has changed the lives of many Saint Lucians and will continue to change the lives of many more. He leaves a legacy behind that includes the introduction of pole vaulting to the island, a college scholarship and medals at the CARIFTA Games.

He took the oath when he became a volunteer. He never mentioned to me that he met any enemies on the island. Andy only has friends…a lot of friends and a lot of grateful people. Andy left the island at almost the same time EC81 was being sworn in.

We lost one today – and we gained seven. And, I believe, when each of our time comes to leave the island, we will leave many friends behind. I don’t think any of us will have an opportunity to defend our constitution.

We are “Peace” Corps. Surely the enemy is not any of the great and wonderful people I’ve been working with. I don’t see any enemies in Saint Lucia.



Should I go out a try to find some? Where are these people? Maybe I should go down to the beach and collect some shells just in case.

How does Peace Corps come up with this stuff? I don’t make this stuff up!

4 comments:

jay said...

it is times like these when i thank God that america has people like you on the front lines - keeping america safe.
i channel george w. bush when i say thank you, mom, you are a great american!!!!
i could go on and on thanking you for my freedoms, but i have a tea party to attend.

i understand if you don't post this, but you started it. i love you.

Karen's Planet said...

Jay, your comment was funny until I read the part about the tea party - not that's NOT funny!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Andy is a wonderful part of MoPo and Karen, I am glad that you despite your early obstacles you knocked them down and we are having a great time with you. For sure that was a taste of things to come.

Karen's Planet said...

humm - anonymous...must be either Elvinette or Brenda! My guess: Elvinette. I love working in MoPo! The first time I was there was when I was in training and I shadowed Brenda for the day. She took me there and I felt so at home with the people. The next time I was there I was still in training and I met Andy. He took me up to see the view at MoPo and we attended a meeting at the pre-school. There's a great sense of community in MoPo. I'm very lucky to be with you.