Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thanksgiving, Part I

I never gave it much thought until yesterday. As adults we take things for granted. It takes a child to point out the ridiculous that is right before us.

Do you know what a frill is? Alright, here is a hint: it’s a noun. Need another hint? OK, you are likely to see a frill in a fancy restaurant or on Thanksgiving. Perplexed? Are you reaching for your dictionary? I will save you the trouble.


According to Webster, frill is defined as, “a strip of paper curled at one end and rolled to be slipped over the bone end (as of a chop) in serving.” You know, it’s those silly looking paper things they put on the legs of those poor turkeys that end up on our dinner table.





Only one turkey gets
pardoned. I wonder if the pardoned turkey, assuming he knows about frills, feels that it is disrespectful to put silly paper decorations on the legs of his deceased comrades.


Yes, I eat turkey, but the more I research information for this little blog post, the more distasteful it becomes. I may be off on a tangent, but I am going somewhere with this and I promise you it will have an element of Saint Lucia in this story.

Why do frills exist anyway? Do you know that you can find directions on the internet to make your own frills! Who has the time for this? Even if I did cook, it would not occur to me that I should buy ready-made frills to decorate the poor bird. It’s hard to believe a company could make a profit on these things.

The more I looked into this subject, the more absurd it became. Do you know that there is a company who not only makes frills, but they also make soup socks, lobster bibs and evendough bands; don’t ask. Now this is an entrepreneur! This takes some out of the box thinking. But now I’m way off the subject.

Actually, you are lucky. A quick search of the internet did not reveal the history of frills. Although I am still curious, I will let this one go. I conclude: they just are. OHMMMMMMMMM.

There is a story behind this story. You are likely wondering, assuming you are still reading, why I would be writing about frills in April and will I ever get to the point of this story. Stay tuned for the conclusion to this story: Thanksgiving Part II.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay I am ready for part II

Kev

Karen's Planet said...

ah,but you must wait a few days...it's schedule for posting on 4/14...humm what do you think the end could be?