Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanksgiving, Part II

Three days a week I go over to the school to visit the after-school program. I help out where needed, but mainly I’m there to see if there are problems, if things are running smoothly and monitor the progress of the team. And, I like to see the children.


The program has a focused subject each month and they are currently studying nutrition. I have no idea where the poster that is hanging on the wall came from. It is a curious picture to find on this island. It doesn’t really matter; the assignment the facilitator came up with is a good one. She asked the children to study the poster and write a story about what they think might be happening.


When I walked into the room, I heard a flood of children trying to get my attention, “Miss Karen, read my story!” Suddenly I was surrounded by little people shoving paper into my hands. I read each story and with enthusiasm I tell each of them how wonderful their stories are.



One little boy saw the poster with Mary and baby Jesus in Bethlehem. They were having a picnic. Other children saw the characters as their own families and carved stories around the characters in the poster. With each story I read, I became increasingly amused.


Then I read a story that says, “the meat has socks”. . . What? I look for the child assuming there is an error on the paper. Then the facilitator points out what she learned after questioning the little girl.


I study the picture which is a representation of the first Thanksgiving Dinner. There are Native Americans, Pumpkin Pie, Pilgrims and a turkey. And the turkey legs are decorated with frills. Of course! It makes perfect sense. The meat has socks!

1 comment:

jay said...

way too cute!!!!!!!!!!