Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welcome to my Planet

Teaching IT class is organized and disciplined when Greg comes to help. Unfortunately, Greg lives in the United States and isn't a regular at the After-School Program. Aren't these children cute. They are so well mannered. I wrote this post before I taught IT at the after-school program today. It's obvious. Greg wasn't there today. It's obvious. I'm on a steep learning curve.




I wrote this post before the little girl pointed her finger at me and told me how I should fix her problem. I wrote this post before the children gave each other the middle finger and before one little boy was punched in the stomach during class. I wrote this post before I discovered the secret rumble post after-school program today. A little boy plans to beat up a little girl.


I am teaching the children to be ladies and gentlemen. Please don’t laugh. I am teaching the boys to respect the girls: ladies first, give up your chair; the little things. I am teaching the girls to be ladies, sit up straight and say thank you. Alright, I’m laughing. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, if I can’t laugh at myself, things will get pretty grim.


I wrote this piece before the little boy told me the Bible says man was made first and girls should show their men respect and men need not give the same respect back. I’m really trying to find the humor here. I’m sure it will come although I may need to put on my red sparkly shoes and click my heels several times. I’m glad I wrote this post so that I can get back to centered idealism, if not total denial, where I so conveniently live: Karen’s Planet.


This was this afternoon, but here’s a look at my morning: my clashing and contrasting planet.


It’s early, at least early for me. It is Monday morning. Mornings are mine. I do most of my work in the afternoons and evenings. Mornings are spent working on my computer, cleaning, walking, contemplating, reflecting, enjoying; all of those things we do when we are alone. It is a time for meditative relaxation…the calm before the storm. This afternoon I will be working with children.


I listen to The Hammond Song, a newly rediscovered song by the Roches. Music is a one of those things I have more time for since arriving on the island. How could I have distanced myself from the music that was the vehicle that centered me all those years? In the past months, I have spent hours building my music library with old favorites and finding new favorites. How would I have ever discovered the Cave Singers had I not had this time for reflection?


I sit on the plastic white chair on my back porch overlooking the village, drink my fresh pot of Starbucks Coffee and watch the village go about its business.


A man who lives behind my house is working in his outdoor kitchen. He is making local juice. His sink consists of buckets sitting on countertop of aluminum used for roofing material. He meticulously cleans his pans and utensils, while carefully wiping down the counter.


The woman two houses from mine is hanging laundry on the line. The day care school across the way begins to fill with children; Bible Songs start their day. The birds are chirping and sitting on the cable and telephone wires.


People go about their business accepting life as it is on this tiny island. Many will never leave the island and some will never leave the village. Life is simple. Sometimes I see it as better, sometimes worse, but most of the time I just see it as different. For many, life appears to be unbearably hard and I wonder if they see it that way. The man making local juice in his yard has no indoor plumbing, but I do see a cable TV wire running to his home. Does he see his life as hard? I wonder.


Thinking about it, this is a perfect way to jump-start retirement. Peace Corps has given me so much and most of it is unexpected. It was easy for me to lose my way during my thirty years buried in corporate life. Teaching was a nice bridge because it gave me perspective as I listened to those who were still fighting the corporate war on a daily basis.


I won’t move mountains while I’m here. Change is too slow for that, but perhaps I will touch a few people along the way. Perhaps I can teach just one child to read – or another to discover the gift of critical thinking. Maybe I can help one child learn to love himself. I can leave ideas, help create new ways of doing things, and open the people I interact with to see things differently. Anyone can help to establish an after-school program or teach a Junior Achievement class. They don’t really need Peace Corps for that. It’s the small things I hope to leave behind. One thing I am sure of is this: I am getting far more than I am giving.


Ah, I love living on my planet. I welcome company – want to join me?

2 comments:

Lois A. McNulty said...

Karen-
The people in St Lucia are so lucky to know you, as I am! Your blog, with the wonderful descriptions of your everyday life, bring back the memories of the times I walked with you through different parts of your village, always learning something new from you.
And your experiences in the classroom- "For True!!!!"
You are livin' large on a small island!

Karen's Planet said...

Hey Lois, I could use your skills about now! I learn something new each day about teaching children. I'm in total awe that you did this for so many years and maintained your sense of balance!!! Yes, for true, my experiences in the classroom have "enlarged" my thinking about teaching. By the way, I look forward to each new post on your blog! It's a great pick-me-up.