Sunday, December 13, 2009

Beating Drums and Santa Hats

It is December 12, 2009. It’s 6:00 a.m. and there is a party. No, wait; it’s a parade. And, they stop under my window for a few minutes. They slowly move down the street and stop again. This appears to be a permanent destination. This is where the village limes. There are about fifty of them, some wearing Santa Hats and jumping up and down, while others supply a steady beat by beating on drums and pots and pans. Everyone is yelling. I'm not sure what they are saying as they are all yelling at one time.

The wind whips through the island signifying a new ten minute rain dump is about to occur. Surely this will stop the revelry. They continue beating the drums, jumping up and down and yelling. This is curious because normally the slightest hint of rain sends them seeking shelter. What is going on? This will be my second and final taste of National Day.




In my village, National Day starts on December 12. This appears to be a warm-up for the real event. Here’s a peek at the activities my villagers find to be a fun and enjoyable activity at six o’clock in the morning. It’s taken from my balcony. I’ve given up any hope of sleep for the next 48 hours. So, as a truly integrated and happy volunteer, I drink my coffee and enjoy my final December holiday experience.



I love how Saint Lucia describes this day: “Each December 13, a variety of sports and cultural events celebrate St Lucia's National Day. The Festival of Lights lantern-making competition is popular and villages throughout the country can be seen decorated with lights. It is a day of pride that celebrates culture and religion. This is the day that kicks off the holiday season.” I’ve never seen these activities, but they do sound interesting. Maybe I should show this description to the villagers and let them know they are doing it wrong.


It’s now twenty-four hours later and the crowd has increased to hundreds. They have added a DJ and a bar was constructed out of bamboo and other natural materials. The Soca Music is being played at record decibels and can likely be heard within a five mile radius. I am three houses away from the stage. You say you don’t know what Soca is? Well, for my older friends who are still listening to traditional Rock and Roll and are musically challenged, simply click on Soca and be instantly entertained.

It’s about 5:45 a.m. I don’t know about them, but I’m ready for some sleep. Do you think they are partied out yet?

No comments: