Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A year ago today…


I got up early on Sunday, August 24, 2008. My flight was at 7:55 a.m. and leaving from LAX is always stressful. People are everywhere, staff is impatient and I was more than a little nervous on this morning.

I took a shower and got dressed. Everyone was awake and milling around in the early morning. I’m sure, knowing me it was 5:30 a.m. I don’t like to be late. I remember looking back at my clean bedroom with a perfectly made bed for just a second before picking up Barkley and closing the door behind me. My sons, my daughter-in-law, my granddaughter and my dog all piled into the white minivan that would chauffeur me to the airport.

We were early and there was time for Starbucks. Mentally, I was thinking, “What did I forget?” In reflection, I can say this: I left things I really needed to bring and brought things that are totally useless here. When we arrived at the airport I was sure my baggage was overweight and I was stressing all the way through the line. I guess American Airlines had an arrangement with Peace Corps because they didn’t even flinch at the bulging bags that I handed over to them.

I was on my way to Miami. Saying goodbye to my family was so hard. I looked at my granddaughter who I had helped take care of since birth and wondered if she would remember me the next time I saw her. I held my dog that I had spent hours socializing and training in anticipation of leaving. I watched my sons and my daughter-in-law with tears and goodbyes. None of us were prepared for this.

I thought of my oldest son when John and I took him to the airport in 1998. He was headed for Peace Corps Honduras. That was no easier than this. As I left my family Jay was holding Barkley high in the air and everyone was waving goodbye. I kept looking back until I could no longer see them. When I got to the American Airlines waiting area I remembered waiting there with my son Jay (it was pre-911 so friends and family were allowed into the area). For the first time, I really knew how he felt that day.

On Wednesday morning I would travel to Saint Lucia, my home for the next two years. A year later, I still get teary-eyed when I think of that morning.

The last year has been amazing, frustrating, sad, happy, difficult and almost never easy; but it’s also been a year that has enabled me to grow as a person, to realize my strength and to take risks beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. It’s given me the knowledge that in the end, this was right for me. My life would not have been complete without it.

I have lived with complete strangers who became my friends. I have met new friends, both host country nationals and Peace Corps Volunteers. I have learned that I don’t need GPS to find my way. I have learned I can still budget and stay within the budget. This last year has given me reason to pause and nurture the sixties values that I developed and still hold dear.

I have been home once since leaving and plan to return one more time. My sons have been here and my sister visited as well. Is the experience what I thought it would be….no. I don’t know what I was thinking before I left – but I didn’t imagine this life. I don’t think anyone can imagine the highs and the lows unless they become a volunteer and experience it for themselves. It is an experience that bonds volunteers together because it is so unique.

As emotional and tearful as the parting was, I recently learned something I didn’t know. It seems that immediately after my family returned home, the Bose Home Theater and flat screen television in my bedroom was removed and placed in the hands of a new owner…humm, very curious. The goodbyes we said appeared sad when I left but this new discovery leaves me wondering – how sad was it? How is my system Jay?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you and the rest of us who are here to hit our PC-versary!

Karen's Planet said...

It is amazing to think we've been here for a whole year! Hope this message finds you well Shawn. Karen

Brendan said...

mom,

You left out the part where Jay was crying like a baby at the airport. He only took the Bose system because it made him feel closer to you.

Karen's Planet said...

you are funny Brendan - at least it's funny to me; probably not funny to your brother.

jay said...

it's too loud (music and movies), and i'm too emotional to talk!!!!!

jay

Karen's Planet said...

ok boys,no fighting...and turn down the music!