Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Secret of the Yellow Dots

I was in the living room visiting with friends I hadn’t seen in awhile. After an entire year, this was my first day home. I was telling a story about my experience in Miami International Airport. My son, Kevin, was in the kitchen and the only thing he heard was, “follow the yellow dots”. He immediately stopped what he was doing. “Are you talking about Miami International Airport?” I said yes. “Jay, listen to mom. She’s talking about the yellow dots!” Jay came out of the bedroom and both of them were laughing. It was at this moment I realized that I was a member of an inside club. I knew the secret of the yellow dots.

As a new member, I don't yet know all of the rules. I am not sure if there are Yellow Dot Police and I don’t want to reveal an international travel secret. Please only read further if you are in the Yellow Dot Club. I don’t want to be the one to destroy the idle fun of Miamians.

The plane landed only a little more than three hours since I left Saint Lucia. Dazed, excited and a little tired, I walked through the airport where I came across the baggage claim area. Having no baggage I was confused. I hadn’t gone through customs yet and there were at least two different directions I could take. There, standing by the baggage turns, was an employee who seemed to be doing nothing but standing around. I walked over to him and said, “Where do I go to find my connecting flight?” He didn’t answer. I found another employee and got the same response. Finally I saw an employee who was talking to another American Airlines passenger. I knew I had him. He couldn’t ignore me because I knew he can hear and speak. I waited…and waited.

Finally, it was my turn. “Where do I go to get my connecting flight?” After a few minutes of convincing him I had not checked any baggage, he said “follow the yellow dots”. It seems if you have checked luggage they don’t send it straight through. You must pick it up and then stand in another line to re-check it onto the connecting flight…please don’t ask why. We must just accept this as American Airlines stalwart business practice. What I knew then is that I made a good decision when I decided not to check anything on my trip home. How lucky I was feeling!

I diligently followed directions. I looked down at the yellow dots and thought to myself, “this is easy”. I wondered who thought of such a great system. I guess they could improve it by printing signs that say, “if you are connecting, please follow the yellow dots”. But, all-in-all I was pleased…until the yellow dots disappeared. I looked around and thought, “ok, I’m here”.

But “here” didn’t look like anywhere. I was behind a security check point. Should I climb over the rope? Humm, I don’t think that would be wise. I was so confident just seconds ago – and now I’m totally confused. An English gentlemen was behind me and had come to the end of the yellow dots. I was firmly planted on the last one and was not about to give it up. I tried mentally extracting the four letter words he was using so that I could understand what he was saying, but it was useless. The only thing I clearly understood is that he didn’t think much of the United States.

After several minutes standing on the last yellow dot on the floor, a security man behind the ropes was visible and I yelled over to him. His reaction told me he wasn’t happy with the way I was trying to get attention. I’m sure he must get the same question several times each day. Without uttering a word he motioned forward. Of course, I’m still confused and said, “huh?” That’s when he said in a very irritated voice, “just keep going”.

This was the moment I joined the “yellow dot club”. I have the answer to the great secret. Miamians have a strange sense of humor. I believe during a slow day and while lunching in the lunch room someone said, “hey, what can we do for entertainment to make our jobs exciting? How can we have fun with the passengers?” Although I didn’t see them, I am sure there are hidden cameras. I believe employees sit in the lunchroom being entertained by passengers behaving like lemmings looking for non-existent and disappearing yellow dots.

I’m back in the village now after a week relaxing and “vacationing at home”. Last night I was telling this story to Angelina, a friend who lives in the village. Her response was, “Karen, hasn’t anyone told you to go through JFK? Everyone knows to stay away from Miami International!” Ah, the other part of the secret.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I think that you need to bring some yellow dots with you next time around and finish the yellow dot trail.

Karen's Planet said...

Finally, a sensible solution!