Saturday, August 8, 2009

Goodbye Roach, Hello Family

I knew when I connected with a roach that it was time for me to get off the island and reconnect with my family. As if reading my mind, Brendan called the next day. It’s been a year since I’ve seen him and his wife, Theresa – but also a year since I left my granddaughter, Ava, who was just shy of her second birthday. He wanted me to see Ava. He didn’t have to say it. I knew he was worried that she may be forgetting me. We had a strong bond before I left. Before I left I was their ace-in-the-hole. their go-to person – the person who they knew would always drop everything to watch her when the need arose.

We tried to figure out how to meet in Orlando to vacation at Disneyworld, but coordinating flights was a logistical nightmare. Brendan suggested a “staycation” and I readily agreed. So, the day after my encounter with my new friend, the roach, I booked a round-trip flight (for one, roach not included) to California. Even though my other sons, Jay and Kevin, were here four months ago it would be nice to see them as well – and Barkley, well obviously he is part of the deal! It was a short week but very nice.

After reflection, I learned that . . .

Jay can be more thoughtful than he lets on

Theresa chooses nice flowers to welcome me back









Kevin will actually get up early to do something with his mom

Brendan’s hugs are always bear-like

Ava likes presents and Barack Obama













Ava is a budding artist at her preschool but doesn't like leaving mom and dad










Kevin still likes cooking dinner













We all like to eat Benihana's

































Theresa's Vietnamese Spring Rolls are the best!










Barkley sleeps under my covers











Brendan is a wonderful dad, Theresa is a great mom and Kevin and Jay are the perfect uncles

I gained four pounds but it was SO worth it because I like eating

water parks are still fun and even better with a beautiful granddaughter



















I miss the weekly Farmer’s Market at Wilson Park and pluots are unheard of in Saint Lucia





















I miss beds with memory foam and down pillows

hot showers are nice

I can still clean up and look decent

going to the Disney Store to buy surprises for Ava was great fun

We talk on the phone as much as Saint Lucian's talk on the phone












Ava is a budding athlete - as long as she can wear her pretty pink skirt with sparkles on it. She likes her new pink football that daddy bought





pink and lellow (aka, yellow) are Ava's favorite colors



according to Ava, "Barkley is my dog too!"


people in California still conserve water


a week isn’t long enough to get up to my mountain cabin; ah, maybe December





Ava likes daddy's pancakes










I can sleep in the absence of tree frogs, crickets and karaoke


bags are necessary when walking to pick up my dog’s poop


I need bags when I go for a walk, but for a different reason. In the U.S. they are used to pick up dog poop, in the village I need something to carry fresh baked bread home when I spot the occasional vendor by the roadside

it’s still possible to drive a car after a year of taking public transportation

I really can sneak into town and my friends won’t take it personal when I don’t call them because there just isn’t enough time

sometimes my blog posts are in a weird format that my own computer doesn't display. I think I've fixed it

Costco sells the same biscotti’s that Mega J sells – it’s just that Costco sells them for $10 while Mega Js price is the equivalent of almost $32U.S. I think the Costco ones will taste better

Saying goodbye is never easy












if you steal a blanket from American Airlines it really is possible to snooze on the floor of Miami International Airport during a five hour layover

coming home to freshly washed and ironed curtains, some new curtains and newly painted walls has Elizabeth’s touch all over it

I miss listening to the fishermen announce their fresh catch by blowing conch shells through the village

I call both places home


people in my village make up for Peace Corps inadequacies and identity crises

my friend the roach has moved on and is nowhere in sight

4 comments:

Brendan said...

I was wondering how you would blog about your trip home. I will read it to Ava when she wakes from her nap. It was really nice to see you mom..

Karen's Planet said...

It was nice to see you too. I love you. I hope Ava enjoys the pictures on the blog.

Unknown said...

What! You came home and didn't call me. I take that personally. I'm glad you enjoyed home. There is NOTHING like family to make things better.

Karen's Planet said...

Linda - see you in December!