Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trash


I started writing this post some time ago. I found other things to write about and lost interest. Consequently, it’s been unfinished until now. My friend Barbara posted a picture and on Facebook which prompted me to renew my interest (click on the picture and it will take you to the site)




A couple of weeks ago I read a post on Facebook written by another friend, Kristi. She was watching Earth 2100, a documentary about the earth’s future. It became too frightening to watch and she turned it off. I do the same thing. It is so out of my control.


Before I left the United States, I would carefully separate my trash, wash recyclable cans and use caution to not waste water. Last night, my son Jay told me they are under emergency and mandatory water rationing; our lawns can only be watered twice a week and only after 4:00 p.m. Before I left, I watched with curiosity and judged a neighbor harshly for watering her driveway every morning.


Today, it’s different. I chuck cans into the garbage along with everything else. When I turn on the water faucet 45% of the water seeps into the ground through the broken pipes in the village. Printer Ink Cartridges? Batteries? What else would a reasonable person do with them? In the garbage. But not everything ends up in the garbage. Many times these things just end up by the roadside or down by the sea. People don’t think twice about throwing an empty water bottle on the ground. There is no recycling program here; money is the issue. There is a garbage truck that comes by twice a week. Where does all this stuff go? Well, of course – into the rain forest. I don’t even want to tell you about what goes into the sea.


On the other side of this issue, bumper-to-bumper traffic is almost non-existent. The main highway is a two lane road that travels around the island. I have seen a few cars piled up during rush hour in Castries, but nothing like the twelve lane highways in Los Angeles that are filled to capacity with gas guzzling SUVs at three o’clock in the morning on a weekday. People take the bus here, they hitch rides and share rides with friends.


Things are built by hand. I’ve been watching the carpenters, plumbers, and electricians build a room downstairs. I’ve heard an electric “something” once. The chain on my toilet broke earlier this week. I told Elizabeth, the landlady, that I would pick up a kit in Vieux Fort to get it fixed. She looked at me like I was crazy. All that plastic and casing is fine – it was only the chain that was broken – and likely that could be fixed.


It may be incredibly distasteful for us to see all the trash and lack of recycling programs, but think about it: where does our waste go? Sure some of it is recycled, but much of it is sent overseas to poor countries. So here’s what I think. We all leave a carbon footprint. While I may be appalled at the trash along the road, the bottom line is that it’s easy to “see” the damage that people are doing on this island. We cover our damage up.



12 comments:

Barbara said...

Interesting view Karen.
But not a point of view I would agree with.

Due to it's complexity, we must remember to get back to this topic at a more convenient time and location.

-----
I should use this at my next debating party.

-----
Appreciate you posting my 'trash' link.

Take care :-)

Karen's Planet said...

I knew it was controversial when I posted it...and kind of thought you would disagree (opinion diversity is good). This would be an interesting topic at a debating party.

Barbara said...

Okay. It's settled. I will use this at the party.

Also, if you and I agreed on everything we'd both be so terribly boring.

Hey, knowing that you're going over what I post with a fine tooth comb keeps me on my toes!

But mostly I'm right and you're wrong. Don't you agree? lol he he he...

I'm so glad you have this blog!

Karen's Planet said...

By the way, if you have a debating party, I insist you skype me so I can be a part of it!

Barbara said...

Well, I'm not having the party in my bedroom where my computer is set up... and I don't have a laptop...

Guess you'll just have to come in person!

Anonymous said...

hola mom,
this is my second attempt to send a comment. hopefully, it will go through.
you know my take on this subject: we've already hit the iceberg, and all this recycling, saving water, taking public transport is like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
everything else is vanity and an attempt to assuage our conscience.
i still love you very much.

jay

Karen's Planet said...

ok Barbara, just let me know which night.

Karen's Planet said...

...and I still love you too Jay. Adios Amigo!

Unknown said...

Interesting post. Your friend's photo collection on garbage--really put things into perspective when I start getting the irate at seeing street/beach/river garbage here.

Something to consider on the water scene though--I also thought people here were very wasteful with the water here until I had an interesting chat with a forestry officer. Well, they do waste water but the sources are different. Back home, most of us are dependent on groundwater supply; even most of our rivers are fed from underground. Sure, the rivers and lakes collect rainwater runoff, but not a significant amount. St. Vincent (and I'd assume St. Lucia) receives copious amounts of rain in the mountains and feeds directly into river sources. This rainwater to rivers supplies much more than what is used by the locals. So as the forestry officer compared--as long as the rain falls, the people will be fine unlike our shrinking groundwater and river resources back in the states. Who knows how this will change here in the future, but for now it seems to be fine for them.

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Shawn, thanks...Many predict world water war, the same as we are experiencing with oil. So how will developed countries handle another commodity that is plentiful in under-developed countries?

Anonymous said...

The bottom line is that it's totally out of our control. Sure you can try and do your part by rationing and recycling, but unless the rest of the world takes part; will it really make a difference? I believe it will not.

Kevin

Karen's Planet said...

Oh Kevin and Jay - you are sooooo my sons. It's all very depressing isn't it? I wish the world could get together and focus on what is important instead of the testosterone ego-driven silliness that creates destruction. Isn't that what this life is about?