Tuesday, June 16, 2009

They’re Back!



I’ve been patient – hey, I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer. Patience is something we have to learn. Slow down. Everything will work itself out. There’s no hurry. Well, I was patient. I slowed down. It worked. They are back.


I ate my first Saint Lucian mango when I arrived on the island in late August 2008. It was heaven. I hadn't had anything like this since my trip to Honduras. The street vendors sell the most magnificent pineapple, mango, and soursop. Cocoa pods produce small cocoa beans when broken open which are a wonderful treat to share with a friends. As quickly as they appeared they were gone. But, now they are back and each morning I enjoy a little piece of heaven.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Yumm, the lovely produce of St. Lucia. I am so jealous... and ever since I took a look at your pineapple I've been drooling for some of it!

Karen's Planet said...

The pineapple is wonderful! It usually takes only a day to finish a whole one off!

Unknown said...

How true...the pineapple comes with that wonderful addiction. It disappears altogether shortly after the first cut!

Sue said...

Hi Karen,
Ok what is the green bumpy thing. Can you explain the flavor of it looks interesting.

I had to go to Hemet last week and got a flat of strawberries. Ended up freezing 3/4 of them.

See ya later,

Sue

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Sue - they are soursop. I didn't know how to describe taste so I looked it up on wiki and this is what it says:

"Comparisons of its flavour range from strawberry and pineapple mixed together to sour citrus flavour notes contrasting with an underlying creamy roundness of flavour reminiscent of coconut or banana. The fruit is somewhat difficult to eat, as the white interior pulp is studded with many large seeds, and pockets of soft flesh are bounded by fibrous membranes. The soursop is therefore usually juiced rather than eaten directly."

The bottom line - they are sweet and very good. There are never any strawberries here...miss them.