Monday, June 29, 2009

Another Goodbye



It’s been amazing, but I know you have to go. It’s been fun, but I know your adventure has ended. I will think about you, but I know you will remain strong. I will miss you, but I know you are in good hands. When I think of you one word will come to mind . . . strength.

When I think about the road we traveled together, I think about the long days in training – and the days you weren’t there, but were hospitalized with Dengue Fever. I think about a special Coal Pot dinner, Christmas Eve at the Cathedral and Christmas day in your village. I think about a warm Thanksgiving Day walking the roads of Dennery.



I will fondly remember our slumber parties, baking cakes, walking to Vierge Point, the Dennery Charity Walk. I will also remember hiding under a quickly made shelter on the beach at Laborie during an unexpected rain.




And, oh yes, who could forget your green thumb and spinning lettuce in your semi-automatic washing machine.



More recently, I will smile when I think about large flying roaches and the imagined possibility of ugly rats staring down from the top of a sofa. Whose idea was that? Oh yes, that secret location, known by just the three of us was your idea!


Now that you’ve made your decision, you are on a path of recovery and a land with plentiful toilet paper, while I’m left to anticipate fending off the next two pound flying cockroach because you are no longer here to save me from this fate.


I love you my friend and you will remain in my heart. Take care, stay strong and keep in touch. Until the next time our paths cross, stay safe and be happy! I’ll see you again on “the other side”.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigod Karen. I thought I was done crying for awhile.....Thank you my friend. You made me feel as if my time there may have not been a waste. You surely made a difference in my life, and in my PC days. You helped me through those last difficult months. I love you too, and I will be strong because I know you would be so pissed off if I wimp out on anything ever again. Medical Separation. That works for me.....
Strentgh!
Lois McNulty

Karen's Planet said...

Lois - no one but another PCV knows what this is like. You didn't waste your time and I'm sure during your stay you touched at least one person - isn't that all we can really hope for? Karen

Unknown said...

oh my, medsep! Say it's not so! I hope Lois will be alright from whatever it is... My thoughts will be with you both.