Sunday, August 8, 2010

Packing


I finished Peace Corps Training two years ago before being sworn-in advancing to the status of Peace Corps Volunteer. The best part was being given the key to the apartment where I would spend the next two years. Neil, my home stay host, put my suitcase in the back of his truck and carried it up the stairs. After a short conversation, Neil left.

I looked around and my new apartment looked bare and lonely. I unzipped my suitcase and looked inside to find a few framed pictures to make this home.

It took some time, but little by little my apartment has become home. It feels like my place now. Elizabeth has rented it to someone else during the months of November and December. It’s strange knowing someone else will be living in my apartment. This week I began packing a few things, putting them back into that same suitcase. Once again, I will begin starting a new life.

4 comments:

Nicholas "Nick" Shuraleff II said...

Good luck on your next adventure, returning.
Nick Shuraleff

Karen's Planet said...

Thanks Nick - it's interesting how we leave a piece of ourselves behind when we return...

Nishi said...

Hi, Karen.
This is Nishi Japanese Volunteer working in St. Lucia.

In these days I found your blog and read this with interest and use it as a means for learning English (ha ha)

I like your blog so much and I am sad not to read your blog more because you are leaving.

Since I'll also leave here soon I can understand your feeling when you are packing.

Anyway I hope good to see you somewhere again.

Karen's Planet said...

Nishi - how nice to hear from you. I am home in California now. I am happy you read my blog and used it to learn more English. I wish you well on your transition back to Japan. You have done some amazing work in Saint Lucia and should be very proud of your accomplishments. I hear from Saint Lucian's that they very much appreciate you. Keep in touch!

Karen