Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New York


I am in Miami Airport. Anyone who knows me, understands this airport is my least favorite. (Reference The Secret of the Yellow Dots) Fortunately, my layover is only two hours and it takes an hour to get through customs and go through the ridiculous process of finding my luggage to re-check it to New York JFK, my final destination.

I have no watch and the Saint Lucia flip phone is packed away because there is little need for a non-working phone while I’m here in the United States. I can’t even pull it out to look cool. I look around for a snack to bring on the plane, but nothing is appealing. What time is it? Do I have time to stand in these insanely long lines?

I walk up to the first person I see with a watch and ask the time. She looks at me confused and says, “no English”. I reply, “Que hora es?” and she responds. It is only then I realize how ridiculous the situation is because I have no idea what she is saying in her reply.

It is July 4th and there are fireworks in the sky. It is a beautiful site landing in New York. After greeting my sister, Janyn, and gathering up my suitcase we proceeded to New Jersey. This is my first trip to New Jersey and New York. The George Washington Bridge is beautiful. It was close to midnight when we arrived at her condominium on the 23rd floor. Saint Lucia seemed like a long way away as we sat on the balcony and watched the fireworks for the next couple of hours.

No comments: