Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saint Lucia Tours - The Laborie Experience

The Caribbean Islands was never pegged on my travel map.

I’d seen the commercials on television; the beautiful aqua waters with coral reefs, the huge cruise ships docking in several ports, people drinking tropical drinks while laying on lush lounge chairs, snorkeling and sailing in an exotic island, being waited on in beautiful resorts.

I'm describing what you may have seen on the recent Bachelor television reality show. It's a tourist paradise. My sons said the same thing; the Caribbean Islands was never pegged on their maps either. We've just never been the type of people that like a 'tourist paradise'.

If it hadn’t been for my assignment on Saint Lucia, none of us would have spent our hard-earned money and precious vacation hours to bask in the sun and be handed tropical drinks by local waiters while lounging on freshly cleaned cushy chairs. Don't get me wrong, a day or two of this is alright, but, for me I want more. What a surprise to all of us when we learned there is so much more character to this beautiful island.

Saint Lucia has identified three pillars which are depended on to develop their economy: agriculture, manufacturing and tourism. Until a few years ago, agriculture was the stable pillar, but when the banana industry’s competition increased and hurricanes and insects destroyed crops that pillar began to wobble.

Today, Saint Lucia depends on the tourist. From a layman’s point-of-view, it appears there are problems this industry; foreign corporations that exploit the land, little dollars making it into the hands of locals, increased crime in the capitol and low level subsistence jobs name of few of the problems.

Reference the Westin Paradise, Saint Lucia. I can never resist giving a shout out to the Westin who leveled a beautiful island point and began building a new resort before the economy went south. They abandoned the site which now sits in a decaying state.

I sometimes wonder if tourism is the right focus, but I’m not an expert in the Tourism Industry in Saint Lucia. These are just simple observations and I concur no one has briefed me on the big picture and master tourism plan, and therefore, tourism could possibly be the next best thing that happens to the people of Saint Lucia.

One thing is for certain. I am an expert on my needs for my own personal travel. All those wonderful things that I said the island offers are not things that I look for when I travel. And, let’s get real. I’m just not into what they are selling me. But, that doesn’t mean the island doesn’t offer what I want.


Much to my surprise, and the surprise of my family, Saint Lucia offers what I want – they just failed to tell me about it. My two year assignment on this island enabled me to uncover the true beauty of the island.
When Janyn and Tracy were here, I wanted them to see more than what they had seen in the marketing material. I wanted them to see Saint Lucia.

Laborie is a small village in the southwest Caribbean side of the island. It is likely a place where few, if any, tourists have been. It’s unlikely that a taxi driver would suggest such a place, but hopefully that is going to change. With a well-organized community and motivated people, the village received a grant to help them establish a village tour; The Laborie Experience.


The village is a short two bus ride distance from where I live. We arrived in Laborie and headed for the Foundation’s Community Center.

Toyla, our guide was waiting for us and from a half a block away I could see her waving her hand high in the air to signal we were going in the right direction. We visited a small museum which is incorporated inside the building. There were objects on display from the times of Caribs through the early 20th Century. It was a good introduction to the tour.

Arawak Artifacts


Old Tools - imagine trying to use this saw!



After a few minutes looking, studying and asking questions in the museum we were off to see the village.


We stopped at the Catholic Church, the largest building overlooking the village. It is said that it was built so that the priest could look out on the village during service to see those that were not attending.



Many of the people decorate the outside of their homes with conk shells that are still in bountiful supply at the local beach.


Strategically placed shingles protect old wooden homes from the pounding rain.


Older wooden structures are seen with ornate wooden carvings that decorate the older homes, but this is history. Newer homes are made from handmade bricks and cement balusters. Still a labor of love, but far less labor intensive.


Nestled behind a home and through a narrow walkway is the Bread Factory - a must see and taste experience!



A 'local' artist, JAG who is a former Laborie Peace Corps Volunteer and accomplished artist, painted this wall mural depicting of typical Laborie Life.



After the tour, we had a local lunch and visited the beach before heading home.



When my sister and niece decided to visit the island, I put this tour at the top of the list. There were two reasons; first, the money goes straight to the economy and supports local people and two, it is a way to connect with the people who live on the island.

Their non-traditional vacation involved teaching children how to make paper beads and leading a class in Junior Achievement. We walked through the rainforest. We watched a Leatherback Turtle attempt to lay eggs. We accompanied the children in the after-school program to the Mexican Embassy to view an exhibit and had a picnic on the beach later in the afternoon. We were invited to dinner at a friend’s house where they experience their first real taste of local food.

We did spend a couple of days beaching and drinking banana daiquiris, and although fun and relaxing, those weren’t the highlights. The daiquiris and beach don't create the stories we take home. It's the people, the culture and the experience of immersion that create the memories.

I wish Saint Lucia would market the rest of what this beautiful island has to offer. There is so much here. Saint Lucia is at the top of my family’s “best vacation” list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur

Kev

Karen's Planet said...

Jay, you have such a nice way with words....:-)

Kev, you missed the bread when you were here!

Jay, no bread for you!