Saturday, June 26, 2010

Resources

How was I going to get everything done? When I read the email I knew that the request was a desperate attempt to find someone willing to help analyze the stack of surveys that had been left unattended far too long. The deadline could no longer be moved forward.

The problem was that I had to teach the little first grader’s the concept of money being exchanged for goods. I hadn’t read the lesson plan and prepared. I can’t ‘wing it’ when it comes to teaching. I emerged from my computer and looked at the two innocent people in my living room. My sister Janyn and niece Tracy were visiting. Ah ha, resources!

I handed them the package of Junior Achievement materials and said, “How would you like to teach a class tomorrow?” While I worked in my bedroom, coding and inputting numbers and creating charts and graphs, they busily taped coins to paper to show the children the difference between E.C. and U.S. coins. They clearly received the fun assignment.

The next day we walked down the road to catch a bus to MoPo. Tracy was armed with knowledge and a plan to teach the class. She led the students through the lesson. Janyn assisted when needed while I played photographer. It was Tracy’s day with the children.


Students are always curious about people with light skin and blond hair. Tracy not only has light skin and blond hair, but is young and pretty as well. A little boy in the corner professed his love for her; he was smitten.

Just as Tracy began to read a story to the class, there was a thunderous rain coming down onto the aluminum roof. There is no glass in the windows because it is far too hot here. Doors aren't closed because ventilation is needed. So when it rains it becomes deafeningly loud. Unfazed she raised her voice and continued while the students listened intently. This happens so frequently the children have learned to adapt.

The emergency assignment was perfectly timed. I completed the analysis and the Junior Achievement Lesson was a big success.

So, here’s the message: if you come to see me you aren’t just a visitor – you are also a resource! Oh, and when I went to teach the class the next Thursday, the little boy who “loves Tracy” asked where she was. Apparently he was hoping to see her again and disappointed that his true love had left the island.

No comments: