Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving - Peace Corps Style

If I were forced to estimate, I would say forty people were there today. Having a Peace Corps Thanksgiving is special; there were volunteers, local people, staff and a new baby. It is fun to share our holidays with local friends.


When I got up this morning I made a pot of coffee and it felt like a holiday. I turned on the Today Show and then watched a few minutes of the Macy’s Parade. I ate a banana, got dressed and headed for the bus. The strange thing is that I half expected to see people enjoying a holiday. Of course, this is just an ordinary day in Saint Lucia. Elizabeth came out as I was leaving and said, “Happy Thanksgiving Karen”. The lady at the gas station where I stopped to buy a bottle of water also greeted me with “Happy Thanksgiving”. She lived in Florida for several years. It’s a strange feeling being in a foreign country on an American holiday.


I got on the bus this morning to go to the far northern part of the island where one of our volunteer couples live. I met Elaine at her house and we picked up bread and butter on the way to the bus. This was my contribution to the meal. Lucky for them, I didn’t cook anything.


I have a lot of time to think during bus rides. As I rode up to Castries, I couldn’t help thinking about how grateful I am for this life. I get frustrated with the work I’m doing, but in the end doing this is my dream being realized. I also get a lot of pleasure when something works well. It feels good to know that there are a few small things I will be leaving that will be sustained. Being a Peace Corps Volunteer can be hard . . . and then sometimes it’s so easy when things fall into place. I’m so fortunate to be here today.


After dinner “fun-tivities” were organized by a couple of volunteers. Fun-tivities is not something my family does. It was entertaining. After a long day of bus rides, food, football and cheap fun-tivity entertainment I was ready to head back.


One of the volunteers had a visitor who rented a car. This is a very big deal. BIG! Anyway, they had to pass by my village to get home so I bummed a ride with them – in an air conditioned vehicle. Did I say BIG? The conversation was interesting and it’s moments like these that reconfirms I’m in the right place. I loved today. I am so thankful that I have been given this opportunity. And family – Jay, Brendan, Kevin, Theresa…get ready for next year. We’ll be incorporating some fun-tivities into our 2010 Thanksgiving Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Fun-Tivities" sounds way more fun than a drunk uncle tommy.

Love your posts,

Kevin Patrick McCarthy III

Karen's Planet said...

ah...you just have to love family holidays! I love you.