Monday, November 9, 2009

The Gamble

I heard a quote that stuck recently. Robin Roberts participated at a recent conference and while talking about her recent fight against breast cancer she said her motto was, “Make your mess your message”.


I spent time thinking about that quote. Coming “out” on the front page of the Los Angeles Times about John’s addiction to alcohol was liberating and also a way to make my mess my message.


I have been living in a mess since coming to Saint Lucia. Sometimes things don’t work out. Organizational Effectiveness can be incredibly rewarding – and terribly frustrating. It’s about helping people focus on the goal rather than individual agendas, helping them focus on passion rather than skill, and on motivators rather than a defined structure. It’s about helping people feel comfortable with risk and learning from failure and celebrating success no matter the magnitude. It’s about patience and realizing slower is usually faster. It’s about helping leadership realize that people need freedom to do a job without interference. It's guiding leadership to share a vision with others and allowing that vision to grow in unimaginable ways.


More often than not teams will succeed. There are a few times, however, when the stars just won’t line up and I have to walk away. Unfortunately, this is the case with my primary assignment in Saint Lucia. This week I walked away from it. I tried everything I could think of and more. I called experts who I knew in the states and asked for advice. Each time I reached a dead end, I picked up the pieces and tried to find another opening. But, when every possible opening was met with resistance it became clear that it was time to move on. It’s not failure – it’s learning. I wish this team the best and hope it can find its way.


The good news is that I now work with what I describe as the best IPP (Institutional Point Person) on the island. Brenda and I have worked together on a few assignments since I arrived.


I am officially working with her on activities such as the after-school pilot program. I am working with another volunteer at the Ministry of Social Transformation to develop training and measurement instruments for the after-school pilot program. Brenda is open to suggestions, enjoys brainstorming and has an amazing capacity to listen and consider change. Yes, I teach her, but she also teaches me.


Although my past primary assignment did not work out, I have accomplished many things in the past year that I feel good about. I have done a lot of leadership training, taught at Monroe College, worked in the secondary and primary school to teach Junior Achievement, planned a very successful event to teach the village children about the two Saint Lucia Nobel Laureates and another to teach children about Saint Lucia’s history on its thirtieth anniversary of independence. I am fulfilled with secondary successes


So, here it is. Organizational Effectiveness is a gamble. My newest mess is now my newest message: You got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Thanks Kenny!


5 comments:

Lois McNulty said...

Karen-
Again, you amaze me, you Amazing Woman! Your description of institutional change is so accurate! I have tried to explain what it is that Peace Corps Volunteers are SUPPOSED to be doing, and I always come up short. But I think you have nailed it!

I am so impressed with you for trudging through a year of frustration and then having the guts and energy to invent a way to be successful. I can read your energy between the lines.

Last night I went to the public library, because there as a free movie. It turned out to be very cool.
I saw a film (the Long Way Home) about a guy out in New Mexico, Michael Reynolds, who is a lot like you. He is an architect trying to create sustainable housing, but coming up against resistance from the established regulatory agencies. At one point, when his US colleagues stood in his way, he took his innovative methods and some workers and went overseas to help tsunami and hurricane victims to create housing, and was welcomed and lauded.
www.longwayhomeinc.org
www.earthship.net
You might want to check him out. I was thinking of you in Micoud the whole time.
be well, do good work, and keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Awww Honey. I'm so proud of you. You're the smartest PCV I know.

Very Truly Yours,

Kevin Patrick McCarthy

Unknown said...

You write so well. I've really gotten addicted to reading your blog.

jay said...

awww honey,
you're also the cutest pcv that we know!!!

warmest regards,
john joseph mccarthy, esquire

hope you get kevin and my humor :)

Karen's Planet said...

Lois; just back from MST, and we sure missed you! I'll check out the sites - thanks.

Kev; ah honey, thanks. You are such a smart a*&%.

Dear Jay; I already knew that! ha ha.

Hi Ann, glad you are enjoying my blog as I am enjoying writing it.
When service is over I will miss it!