Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fights and Parties

They party on Thursday nights – and they party on…and on. It’s Karaoke Night mixed with Dancehall. It’s a happy night and although my house reverberates, it’s part of village life and I’ve become used to it. I am in the part of the village where they “lime” in Saint Lucia jargon or “hang-out” in California jargon. I like being in the village because it’s easier to get to know people.


But there is another part to village life. This is a small village and everyone is related in some fashion. They fight like relatives. As I write this there is a man washing his car. A woman walks by and begins to yell at him. He yells back. Then a neighbor adds a comment…and then another. Currently, there are twenty people arguing in the street. They are loud. I watch the people with hands on their hips, arms crossed, and fingers pointed all leaning into their opponent.


Soon it will be over. Tonight is Friday night and the party will begin shortly.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

They say you become a product of your environment.
I'm thinking that by the time you get back home in CA you'll have picked up karaoke and will end up a singing diva.

Please invite me to your parties!

Actually, the whole ritual thing down there sounds kinda like weekends in the rural mid-west and southern states. Yeee-haw!

Did you say (in another post) that you have earplugs?

Good luck Island Girl. bb

Anonymous said...

Boy that story sure reminds of your village.

Kevin

Karen's Planet said...

Hey Kev - love your comment! Glad I painted the picture correctly.

Barbara - you can be my singing agent when I return...

Luv,
k