Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nail Files


My boys sent me a box for Christmas. Things in the box were things I can use. Toothpaste, shampoo, Q-tips, almonds; everything was special because they are things I need. But one thing was curious: Nail Files.


I was glad to receive them because I can always use nail files, but I was curious because this is something picked out by my sons. On a recent afternoon I spoke to Brendan and the subject came up. He said he purchased them because, as a young boy, he has a memory of me filing my nails.


I am touched that he would have a memory of such small detail. I may not have noticed this thoughtful gift if it were given to me at home as life is so fast-paced that there is little time for reflection. Being a Peace Corps Volunteer has enabled me to appreciate these small treasures. This will be one of the most memorable gifts in my lifetime.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Although all of your sons are fabulous, Brendan gets the star today.

Karen's Planet said...

I agree. Wasn't that just the sweetest! Today, he's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barbara for noticing. Mom i'm glad the nail files meant so much to you. It was fun to buy them for you, and it is nice that such a little gift can bring us both such a great feeling. I love you mom.

Unknown said...

It is the little things in life that make the biggest differences.

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Shawn - yes it is and this was one of those little moments in life.

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Barbara, that's a question I hadn't thought about. Well, De La Rue Currency, United Kingdom, prints banknotes for the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU), while the Royal Mint, United Kingdom, mints our coins.

The currency is issued by the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank located in Saint Kitts and Nevis.

All coins have a recent portrait of Queen Elizabeth II on one side, and either a design of crossed palm branches or a depiction of Sir Francis Drakes’ ship, the Golden Hind

But, this is the interesting point: Sir Francis Drake made the first English slaving voyages, bringing African slaves to work to the 'New World'.

Good question, I should have done a little more research to uncover this before I posted! Certainly, this begs the question "Why?"