Sunday, March 8, 2009

Money

Money can be confusing. The currency here is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar. The conversion is set at 2.7 Eastern Caribbean Dollars to each United States dollar, although if you go to the bank you never actually get 2.7 to the dollar.

Although Saint Lucia's independence came in 1979, Grenada's independence 1974, Saint Kitts 1983, Saint Vincent 1979 and so on, the EC money has Queen Elizabeth's picture on it because, according to my sources, she is still recognized as the head of state.



The coins are interesting. They come in one cent, two cent, five cent, ten cent, twenty-five cent, and one dollar. Seems pretty straight forward, huh? Not so fast.




Can you guess which is one cent and which is ten cents? Neither can I so I keep them in a jar and don't spend either coin. It's just easier.






Which one of these are two cents? Both of them. I don't do well memorizing shapes so they go into the jar too.






So you think you are getting good at this game? Which one is five cents? Right, both of them. They accompany the pennies and two cent coins in that jar.





Now here is a quarter and a dollar. Do you know how many times I've tried to pass a quarter for a dollar? They always look at me like I'm trying to get more for less. I have no idea how many times I've given people a dollar thinking it's a quarter. No one has ever mentioned that.



Dollar coins also have various shapes, but they get spent anyway. I have taken the time to figure this out.








Now, here is something I can understand. I spend these - often! The twenty is missing. I've spent all of them!

11 comments:

jay said...

hey mom,
i can't wait to spend your ec money! it looks like a lot of fun.

i love you,
jay

Barbara said...

Can I have your jar?

Karen's Planet said...

Barb - you and Jay have to fight it out! Actually, given the economic situation, I might need it when I return.

Alyssa Gaalema said...

flippin fantastic! I would agree on everything! IT IS a pain, most of the time :0) Thank you for your recent post!
-Alyssa

Anonymous said...

mom your funny.

Barbara said...

karen you're funny.

Barbara said...

brendan you're funny too.

Karen's Planet said...

ok Barbara, I'll play the game too. Barbara, you're funny.

Barbara said...

You're a good sport Karen!

BTW, where is St. Lucia's mint?

Adventure Melaney! said...

I'm glad you wrote this up; I've been meaning to do a similar post--now I'll just link yours!

And I also have tons of 1, 2, 5, and 10 cent coins lying around everywhere. Occasionally I can spend some 10c and 5c when I run out of quarters. Thank goodness there's no 50c piece to cause more confusion!

Karen's Planet said...

Hi Melaney - thanks for your comment. I think the confusion may be why one is able to find so many coins on the ground. Have you ever noticed how many coins are discarded onto the sidewalks? Elaine picks them up. I think she's going to get rich, only because she knows how to count them!