Saturday, February 7, 2009

Formal Letters

I volunteer at Monroe College in Castries, teaching Business Policy and Strategy. Teaching is a secondary assignment. It is an American institution and the textbooks are the same used in the United States. A chapter in the text I’m using describes generational differences, noting the values of Baby Boomers and Gen X. It points out how these differences intersect with the business environment. This is a typical undergrad business issue that generates lively discussion. However, we are not in the United States and it is difficult for the students to understand. When I asked them about it, they said, “Oh, we are Gen X”, but they had no depth or real understanding of the meaning. To my knowledge, there is no similar research for the generations in Saint Lucia.


In another capacity, I am working with the Village Development Foundation; this is my primary assignment as a volunteer. One thing that surprised me is that formal letters are sent for every request. Recently, I was asked to phone twenty-five people in the community and invite them to a meeting. Each of them agreed to come to the meeting, but the telephone conversation would not be recognized as “official” until they received a formal letter confirming our conversation. There was no time to mail the letters so they had to be hand-carried. Even if there was time to mail them, there are no house numbers and consequently, they would all just end up at the post office waiting for them to pick them up. One never knows how long that will take so hand-delivering them is really the only method. OK, now the circular motion of this concept is complete and I’m sure you understand. Don’t you?


I have questioned Darnley, the Foundation Chair, about the need for formal letters on more than one occasion. I explain to him that the invention of computers, technical gadgetry and in the interest of speed there are better and more efficient ways to communicate. I explain to him that the wording in the letters causes misunderstanding which leads to written sparring. I’ve said many times, “Can’t we just walk across the street and talk?” The response is always the same. “That is a good idea, but we will have to follow it up with a formal letter.”


It’s an inside joke between Darnley and me. Whenever anyone mentions a formal letter he always looks at me and smiles. He knows what I am thinking. I nod knowing what the response will be if I voice my opinion. So I don’t; I keep quiet now. But Darnley, is walking across the street to talk to people more frequently. We are both moving toward the center of the discussion. I like that.


Last week I showed my students the timeline I created of Saint Lucia History. It is the beginning stages of creating generational differences for Saint Lucia. This is a gift I want to leave behind. I’m not sure how I will introduce it, but I know I will find the right moment.


I gave my students an assignment. They were to talk with people of different generations. I asked them to uncover values, heroes and differences through hearing the stories heard in their interviews. The end result is for them to understand differences and why these differences should be considered in planning corporate strategy.


They came to class well prepared today. I got them into group discussion; each group taking one generation to explore. The conversation was rich, well researched and fun. What began as “just another homework assignment” for them turned into an exciting learning experience. And, as more than one of them pointed out, I learned with them.


Prior to 1950, life was exceptionally difficult on the island. Many left in search of an easier life. I learned that Saint Lucia didn’t have telephones until late 1959. They dialed the operator and asked for a three digit number. Rural priests, mostly white, traveled on horse and when they passed people would make the sign of the cross and bow to pay reverence.


A couple of months ago, I went to an exhibit of artifacts shown during Jounen Kweyol, translated: Creole Day. The things displayed were used prior to the 1950s. The stories I heard today gave real meaning to the things I saw two months ago. Most people in Saint Lucia did not have indoor plumbing. Families would use a bidet at night. Each morning a vehicle was dispatched through villages to pick up the “night soil”. Most did not have indoor cooking facilities and so they cooked outside on coal pots. These stories were interesting, but it was this next story that stopped me cold. It gets to the purpose of this post.


Years ago, when a man decided to propose to a woman he was required to ask her father for her hand in marriage. He had to follow a formal process. The man would write a formal letter and send it to the woman’s father to request a meeting. Now that puts a big grin on my face. I can’t wait to tell Darnley about this!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I think that is a great cultural lesson when you where trying to convey the Gen X label in your class.

I completely understand what you are saying about formal letters. We recently had a very poor turnout for an election regarding our community center management. Although there was plenty of word-of-mouth and posters to inform people--some wanted personal, formal letters inviting them to a community function! Yeah, I've become a part-time mailman--delivering letters just to get participation. Sometimes even that isn't good enough. >.<

Keep up the great work! Proud of you. : )

Karen's Planet said...

Thanks Shawn - Interesting to know it's not just my island. I love learning about culture and it was so interesting to see how deep the roots go in regards to these letters.