Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Fisherman

My neighbor who lives across the street is a fisherman. He has a boat and he employs people to help him. They are mostly relatives. The boats are small and the fishermen usually don’t wear life vests. The sea on the eastern side of the island (Atlantic Ocean) is very rough; waves break far from the shore. I am amazed at the work they do. I run out to my balcony at the end of the day when I hear them blow conch shells to announce the catch of the day. The loud sound coming from the shells is heard throughout the village and is one of my favorite things about my new home. I think they are very brave men. Today, when I came home one of the men was repairing a lobster trap. He worked on this trap all day. He will put it in his boat and take it out to sea. He will place bait inside to lure the ocean spiders into the traps. The fishermen return later to retrieve the red pinching crustaceans. And no, I don't buy them from the fishermen. If you remember the post "Here's Looking at You" which was written on November 22, you will know the reason.

No comments: