Friday, October 31, 2008

Waiting for Elaine

I’m standing in front of the Bank of Saint Lucia, grateful that my bank errand is complete. Banking is an activity much like what we experienced pre-ATM. They have ATM machines, although they are not always working – and when they are, many times there are lines twenty persons deep. The grocery store, Super J, is the only place I’ve found that honors ATM cards for purchases. This has made budgeting a challenge for me. It’s not, “do I have enough in my account?” Although my boys call me “cheap”, I prefer to think of myself as frugile – I know how to save money. No, it isn’t about how much money is in my account, it’s “how much cash will I need until the next time I get to either Castries or Vieux Fort?” Getting cash is at least a half day chore, so planning is critical.

The lines inside the bank? Are you old enough to remember when we used to do our banking exclusively at the bank? If not, use your imagination – banks were always busy. Fridays? One never went to the bank on Friday unless it was an absolute necessity. There were two reasons: First, Friday is payday, second, everyone needed enough cash to get through the weekend. Take that visual memory and times it by a factor of two. Why? Well, because the bank is not only where you keep your money, but where people pay their bills. . . the electric bill, the cell phone bill, the water bill. They are all paid at the bank. So, bring a good book, pull up a seat, and prepare to settle in. They will call you when it’s your turn. So, needless to say, I was more than grateful to see Naomi, Bea’s daughter there. She works at the bank and allowed me to bypass the system. I was in and out so quickly it put a smile on my face.

Now I’m waiting for Elaine, one of the EC78 volunteers. She called this morning to see how I am. I told her I was on my way to Castries. She explained she is meeting a few of the volunteers for lunch near the cinema. We are going to take the bus together to a place called Rituals. I can use a couple of relaxing hours with fellow PCVs.

As I wait, I hear a whisper in my ear, “you are so beautiful”. I look over and there is a man with dirty clothes, rotting teeth and emitting an unpleasant odor. Lovely. I’m polite and say “thank you”. He says, “I’ve never had a white woman before.” I respond, “and you aren’t going to have one now either”. He asks me if I’m married and I tell him I’m waiting for my husband. That doesn’t discourage him. I move a few inches away from him. The order coming from him is disturbing. He moves in closer and says, “Do you cheat?” I don’t answer. This banter goes on for two or three minutes until I finally say, “You are annoying me, please move on”. He moves back and says, “God will reward you in heaven because you don’t cheat.” He was persistent, but my rudeness is what was needed for him to get the message and move on.

Yuck! Is this it? This is what is attracted to me? It can’t get worse than this . . . I hope. There is Elaine. What a welcome sight.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Maybe this gentleman is a missed opportunity Karen.
I'm talking humanely not romantically. Give it some thought.

I must admit that your description of him was perfect for the date of post--Halloween!!!

Do they celebrate this holiday there?
Did you carve a pumpkin? (Did i miss a blog entry regarding Halloween?) Johnny Depp is coming to get you and...

jay said...

you met your soulmate; what's your problem? how did you let such an important opportunity pass you by.

Anonymous said...

tell me more about my new dad; i can't wait to meet him.

Jenna said...

Haha, I had to laugh here because it reminded me of last fall in Beijing. All of it.

Beijing, pretty HUGE city that's definitely getting on its game now. Right?

Not in banking! To cash my travel checks (I was there for 6 weeks) I'd have to spend hours in line at the bank. Most people only carry cash, so they have to have everything done at the bank and counted an untold amount of times.

Also, the guy who hit on you, at least he went away :) I have a Chinese stalker. Yes. He stalked me my last week in beijing, and then continued to stalk me trans-Pacific!!!! He found out cafes I went to, he ***spent the night at the airport to make sure he'd see me leave at 5am*** (how he knew I was leaving I dunno!), he found out my email address, phone number, websites, tried to get a visa to come here, and is insistent I return so I can marry him. UGH! He's very scary. And yet, I'm returning to China in 2 months!!!!!!!!!!! (tho different city)

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

since allmost 5years I'm using the ATMs of Scotia Bank in St.Lucia only a handfull of times they were not working. They accept my German EC-Card and Cash is never a problem on the Island. Even to pay my Bills I'm using Bill Express in various places or The offices of Lucelec,CandW, in Rodney Bay Marina or Gablewood Mall. So ry to avoid the Bank and never go on Friday.

Enjoy Life on "our" island and don't let some dirty people bother you. Lucians are nice and friendly people and most of them would tell these subjects to leave you.

Greez
Andreas

Barbara said...

KAREN darling, you were the only blond in sight of that poor, smelly guy. Of course he'll be attracted to you; you are an exception on the island and stand out in a crowd. Next time walk around the village with a fried egg on your forehead and he'll either run or eyeball the egg--not you. Also, to your relief, the word "beautiful" will probably not be a part of his conversation--unless he's hitting on the egg, at which point you don't have to take it personally . Albeit, do you have a police whistle?





(In respect to everyone on the island (adn to CMA) - I am just having a laugh with Karen.)

Unknown said...

Karen,
Come on, you know you like the bad boys. 40 years ago he would of have been right up your alley. I'm so glad you are blessed for not cheating. Sounds like a great tme.
Linda

Anonymous said...

next time that happens i'm getting on a plane to kick someones ass.