Friday, October 24, 2008

Campaigning in Saint Lucia

As I leave the drug store in Castries, there is a large man standing outside the door. He is young, possibly in his thirties, with a smile and a pleasant manner. He has long dreadlocks and although he isn’t wearing the Rasta colors, he has the look. He is wearing jeans and a t-shirt. There, on his shirt is a campaign pin. He is campaigning for Barack Obama. I have no idea why. I am the only person within miles eligible to vote in this election. As I exit the store he looks at me and says, “Barack Obama for president”. I respond, “yes, we are ready for change”. He smiles and goes on to the next person.

Everyone here is very excited about the prospect of a black U.S. President. Most know little about the candidates other than one is black and the other isn’t. Most are surprised when I tell them McCain is a war hero and P.O.W. who was in a Viet Nam prison for years. When I tell them he was tortured and walks with a limp and can’t lift his arms above his shoulders, they want to know more.

There are Obama campaign stickers throughout the island. They are on cars, stuck on houses, and can be found in stores. Lois, who was hospitalized with Dengue Fever, bought an Obama button from one of the nurses. When I was in an internet café today, I heard someone watching YouTube Obama videos.

People on this island see Obama as hope. They believe that if Obama wins, they will, as a people, indirectly benefit from our cultural progress. At the same time, many have expressed fear for his safety.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

This particular blog entry of yours is OH SO OPEN to debate. I'd love to jump in this can of worms but am working diligently on a project. Great potential for a lucious, heated "topic" party--filters to be left at the door. BTW you finally sound happy.

Amber said...

Hi Karen,

My name is Amber and my husband and I were supposed to be a part of your training group in August--originally to serve in Grenada. We were two of the 20 people who were reassigned when the EC PC experienced staff changes in July. We are now set to head to St. Lucia in February. It's been nice to read your blog and see what you are doing. Though I admit I'm pretty jealous we aren't there now, it's like we're getting "inside information" from you on what to expect.

Thanks for your great posts! I look forward to meeting you in a few months.

amber palmeri

Karen's Planet said...

Amber - if you have questions, give me a shout out - I can be reached at kjmccarthyus@yahoo.com