Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 - This is it...Imagine

It seems long ago since my return to the United States but it’s been only five months. I’ve purchased a car, acquired a smart phone and established a routine with my dog.  I’ve unpacked just enough boxes to be comfortable and rearranged the closets and cupboards.  

I’ve been home long enough where there is no consideration for a cold shower, I don’t remember what peanut butter tastes like and I’ve given up on walking to the market with a backpack.  I recently found a forgotten and neglected bag of garbage in my freezer, an artifact of past behavior.  

Although I have resumed my past and readjusted to my lifestyle in California, I have changed and look at life differently.  I know what it is like to be different.  I learned what it is like to be accepted into a different culture and cared for by people who wanted to teach me their ways.  Yes, I have been the target of racism, but not often. 

Mia, my new granddaughter, arrived four weeks ago and I’ve bonded once again with Ava, my four year old granddaughter.  She often looks at me very sweetly and says, "I love you Grandma".  Ava and I have been baking cookies and cakes, decorating them with icing and candies.  I’ve gained a few pounds which needs some attention but will likely be put on the back burner until January.  I reactivated my gym and spa memberships.  Now I need to actually use them.

I purchased my car in late August and most days it’s parked at the curb, ignored and gathering dust.  I’m not one to remain idol too long, but I must say this has been a nice break from the world around me. I haven’t spent this much time without work since my late twenties.  Never mind how many years it has been since my twenties – let’s just say it’s a lot.  

Life is taking over.  I have been lifted from a slow leisurely pace and into the fast lane.  One day bleeds into the next and many times I have to look at the calendar to figure out the day of the week.  I still fight the fast-lane concept.  Today, I woke up at ten. I was in a panic. I missed Barkley’s grooming appointment. I shot up from the bed and fumbled for my cell phone.  I quickly looked for the number of “Poodles are People Too” only to discover his appointment is tomorrow. I went back to sleep.

I have been putting off writing this post as I knew it was my last.  I spent the entire day looking at pictures and reading old posts today.  It's been awhile since I've had a day of reflection.  My life, while certainly not even close to perfect, is good and 2010 was a wonderful year.

I began 2010 continuing my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer and ended 2010 reintegrating into life in the United States.  I’ve learned a lot about myself; some things I like and others I need to work on.  I’m rested and have some ideas about the direction of my path. So here are a few highlights of my year:


A few of my favorite after-school program students. I taught them literacy and IT


Cheering for the children who race in my village


I taught Junior Achievement. The children are proudly holding up the banks they made.

This painting was made especially for me.  I had it framed and it will be hung at my mountain home.

A vacation with friends in Costa Rica.  We are ready for zip-lining.


My sister (Janyn) second visit to the island


A great rain forest experience and a new friend.


The beauty and sounds of a rainforest



Elaine and I relaxing in Miami Beach
A quick visit to New York that also included Atlantic City, Jersey Shore and Philadelphia

And of course, my favorite - bartender school
Close of Service Conference - Peace Corps EC78
My son Kevin, travels all the way to Saint Lucia to help me move back to the United States. Unfortunately, it rained almost the whole time.

I enjoyed a few last wonders of nature

Listened to a final crow




Visited one of my favorite views in the village for the last time

My very last visit to Vierge Point in Micoud
And then, just like that this adventure is over
I'm home to celebrate Ava's 4th Birthday

And see her Christmas Play

And bake cookies

We enjoyed dinosaurs at the Discovery Center

And I have a new granddaughter, Mia Jo

Barkley and I are back in routine

I have a believer for Christmas

I helped spread information about Peace Corps at the Orange County Peace Corps Association (OCPCA) booth in Irvine

I was the guest speaker at the OCPCA Christmas Party
I have learned about another's Peace Corps experience in Africa
And, I spoke to a great bunch of students at Cypress College about my experience.
Going back to review my year has been fun. I've had a great year.  Just a few years ago, I never could have imagined so many possibilities.





I’m on to 2011 and the next chunk of my life.  I will begin teaching a course at Webster University in January and will look for some meaningful volunteer work.  I hope to fit some travel into my schedule as well.  There are so many places to see in this world.  Thank you for listening to me.  I’ve used you as my sounding board and as a method to keep my service light and not take myself too seriously. Please feel free to comment or email me!

9 comments:

Cassandra said...

Very cool!

Karen's Planet said...

Thanks Cassandra. Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Anonymous said...

Olá interessante este espaço está bem estruturado.........bom estilo:)
Adorei Continua assim !!

Lindsey Lewandowski said...

Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Alyssa Gaalema said...

I have 20 days left in Grenada and I went to your post to get insight on my own reflection piece I will have to inevitably write. Thanks for the great pictures and the story progression. It was an encouragement to me to see you bounced back so well! Bless up!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just want to say thank you for this interesting article! =) Peace, Joy.

ali said...

amazing picture thanks for uploading

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hey