Monday, October 4, 2010

Guarding Territory

I watch Riley and Barkley. Riley is the rescued black cat my son brought home while I was living in Saint Lucia. Barkley, of course, is my little toy poodle that someone thrust upon me. I am ever grateful as he is a great source of entertainment and a wonderful companion. Riley and Barkley are in the midst of their morning ritual.


I feed the ball of black meowing fir that traverses my legs causing me to move with caution so I don’t end up on the floor. His frenzied communication is his way of demanding food at the very moment he hears me stirring in the morning. 


I fill Riley’s bowl and he begins eating immediately. I look over at Barkley and he is quietly and politely sitting by his bowl knowing it will be his turn after Riley is fed and peace is restored in the house. Barkley’s bowl is filled and brought to the living room, far from Riley’s sight. Barkley doesn’t eat; he lays down next to it in anticipation.


Once Riley has eaten half his food he comes in search of Barkley’s bowl and the game begins. Riley is a growing kitten and wants, possibly needs, more food than the cup he is given at breakfast. Each time he approaches the bowl Barkley growls at him and with fir flying and feet in the air, they rumble on the floor. Barkley wins, Riley retreats and Barkley goes back to his guarding position.


After a few failed attempts, Riley realizes that he isn’t getting anywhere and he changes his strategy. Riley waits until Barkley’s eyes close and then quietly approaches his bowl. He snatches one kibble at a time, each time moving to safety to eat the food that Barkley clearly has little interest in eating. This goes on until the food is gone. They are both tired and surrender to sleep. The game will commence again tomorrow morning.


It’s interesting to watch the dog guard something that he clearly doesn’t want. I hear about the same cat and dog game on television. The participants are different, but the game appears to be the same. We guard our borders so that people from other countries don’t come into California and snatch a job picking fruit. They come in search of jobs almost no one wants but the illegal that has crossed the border to feed his or her family.


I contemplate the dog and cat game. Maybe if I re-evaluate and make changes to the process, the dog will get what he wants: better food; and the cat will get what he wants: a full stomach. A win-win rather than a win-lose. Maybe the people who are guarding the boarders would be more successful if they would look for the win-win.

No comments: