Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Observations

The educational system in this country has adopted the English style of learning. They do a lot of reciting. They are told and then they repeat what they are told in unison.


When I taught at Monroe College, the students were terrified because my tests were essay questions rather than a sheet of paper with boxes to be marked true/false and multiple choice questions.

My guess is that the students did well in primary and secondary education which allowed them to advance. Although it's not scientific research, I bet these students are ones that learn best by memorizing and reciting. They likely did not learn by respectfully challenging the instructor.

Students tell me that Saint Lucia professors make tests as difficult as they can and expect many to do poorly. The American system seems less punishing and more nurturing. As a teacher, I want students to do well and when they don’t I share in their failure. Students are told that if they attend an American university they will find it very easy. Really?

Working in the after-school program with 8-10 year olds has been enlightening. I am amazed at the amount of illiterate children here. It is simply frightening to think of so many children who, without intervention, will not be able to read the sign on the road or the menu handed to him. Imagine yourself going through just one hour unable to read. It’s an enormous handicap. I wish I could do more about this problem.

There are factors that come to play: a high illiteracy rate among parents, children having children, poor diet, and untreated learning disabilities, poor teaching facilities that lack resources as well as descent acoustics. There are deeper problems, such as the lack of parental resources to buy uniforms and books for their children and parents who place little value on formal education. I’m not sure it’s much different in the United States.

(I have no idea if the children in these pictures read or not. They are just adorable children and representative of those on the island.)

3 comments:

jay said...

nice post, mom. the kids are soooo cute!!!! but not as cute as mom!!!

Anonymous said...

hey Karen thanks so much for being in my life you have surely made a difference and I am grateful wish we could made a difference by getting the kids to read read read, literacy is power thanks once again , you're a gem.

Karen's Planet said...

Elvi - we are doing the best we can. You will make a huge difference in their life. You rock girl!