Saturday, February 20, 2010

Water

On my way into Castries, I wonder if this is what it feels like to ride down a luge at the winter games at ninety miles an hour. The bus driver seems to be in a hurry. We are about a half hour from Castries when I break the silence. “If we get to Castries alive we should be there in no more than ten minutes”. Heads are nodded and nervous laughter is heard.

As we whiz past the harbor at break-neck speed, I notice three large ships in the harbor. There will be tourists, lots of tourists, descending upon the city today. Holding my breath, the driver plunges down a hill, slams on the breaks and I’m nearly ejected from my seat. I look around for the platform where we will stand to receive a gold medal for surviving the fastest bus ride on the island.

I catch the next bus to the Peace Corps Office where I will meet other volunteers. Thankfully, this driver seemingly has more time and navigates cautiously through the city. I call out, “stopping” and the driver stops.



I walk over to the pedestrian overpass; up forty steps to cross the street and then down thirty steps. I’m not sure why there is a 10 step difference. Someday I may study it and get to the bottom of this mystery, but not today. I walk across a long shopping center and over to the Peace Corps Office where I climb three flights of stairs to the volunteer office.


I’ve kept in good cardio shape, although weight lifting has taken a back-seat and I know it will be grueling to get back into the gym after my service is completed.

An hour later, Elaine, Ann, Debo and I are sitting at a wooden picnic bench and table on the restaurant deck having lunch at Choc Beach. An umbrella shades us from the penetrating sun. The restaurant overlooks the Caribbean Sea and the views are magnificent. I watch people floating in the water while another group is sitting in a large oversized flotation device that is pulled by a boat. Others are sunning on beach chairs. It is amazing to be here and we comment about the beauty around us. After lunch I will swim in the Caribbean before heading back to my village.

As we enjoy our lunch, the restaurant fills with tourists from the ships that are in port. We comment on the large number of tourists, but the topic quickly turns to water. Who has it and who doesn’t. I’ve heard some volunteers say their pipes have been dry for as much as eight days. I heard one local say it’s been three weeks. Water is a the topic for discussion among locals and volunteers. It hasn’t hit my village yet, but I know it will.

Debo watches one of the tourists use the outdoor shower and says, “I guess tourists don’t know about the drought”. This is tourist season and the country is suffering a drought worse than any in recent memory. Officials are considering calling a state of emergency which would give them more power to enforce rationing. WASCO, the national water company, is turning the water off to ration one third of the dwindling supply.

We are in the dry season now. Last rainy season brought only a fraction of water that the island usually enjoys. There has not been a significant downpour in over a month. Water stored at the John Compton Dam is dropping at the rate of one foot each day. Officials hope people will begin to recognize the need for personal water storage facilities in the future. Water is being trucked to the south and to higher elevations which is very expensive.

WASCO is looking into alternative methods to obtain water. These methods include importing water from Dominica; desalination which is an expensive option and deep well drilling. Deep well drilling seems to be the preferred option; however, they don’t have the equipment needed for it and will seek help from the United States.






Over the last twenty years, I’ve learned to be careful about the amount of water I use. In California, we live in a perpetual state of drought, but the water has never been turned off. I find myself hording what is available right now. Every available bucket and container is filled to the brim with this liquid gold. My laundry is kept up, my hair is washed and the first thing I do in the morning is take a shower, knowing it could be the last real shower I will have for days. The conditions are expected to worsen. The wet season doesn’t begin until June. So come on, do a little rain dance for the country. The following video is a peak at what could be the future of Saint Lucia as well as many countries around the world.






No comments: